PDA

View Full Version : Genesis changes my QT tank water

Ricardo18
10/21/2013, 12:38 PM
I am thinking about having my waste reservoir (from my DT) empty into my QT tank when I do my water changes.
This will push out 1 gallon from my QT tank (I will drill an overflow at the high water mark)

What do you think?

GenesisReefSys
10/21/2013, 03:27 PM
Hi Ricardo,

This should work just fine. I have set a couple up like this in the past - but they were frag tanks instead of QT. You may want to keep your QT as a standalone system so that you can keep medication levels constant or keep your quarantined specimens with weakened immune systems from being exposed to parasites that exist in your DT. Just a thought - but it is certainly possible to set up in this manner.

Have a great evening,
Kevin

Ricardo18
10/21/2013, 08:23 PM
If I was using the QT as a hospital tank, I would definitely want to keep my DT water out of there (the problem would probably be in the DT)
But to just quarantine new arrivals to make sure they are not carrying anything on them, this would help equalize the water parameters between the two tanks, for better acclimation.

GenesisReefSys
10/22/2013, 05:31 AM
Hi Ricardo,

Agreed!

I'd love to see pics when you're finished with your setup.

Kevin

Ricardo18
10/30/2013, 10:09 AM
one more quick question;
I will need to run your unit for 12 cycles per day (aprox every 2 hours=12 gallon water change per day for my 450g display)...is this excessive as far as wear and tear on the Genesis system?
Are others using it for "large" systems?
Thanks

GenesisReefSys
10/30/2013, 10:26 AM
Hi Ricardo,

12 gallons per day won't tax the RENEW™ system itself in the slightest. The weakest link will be the pumps, starting and stopping numerous times per day, but the EHEIM 1000 Compact has proven to endure that sort of operation quite well.