PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Auto Water Change

den75
10/21/2013, 03:11 PM
Hi, When my system initiates a 1 gallon water change, it doesn't complete. The Fill Light and the Replacement Bin High light blink. I believe this may be caused by a faulty pump? I remove the pump from the system and plug it in and it seems to work. Also, after the W/C failed the waste water dumped into my waste water collection bin leaving my sump a gallon short and potentially being re-filled by my Storm system with fresh water. If the Replacement water bin failed to fill why didn't the system dump the water back into my sump?

Thank You

GenesisReefSys
10/21/2013, 04:21 PM
Good afternoon den75,

There are two things that I suspect could be causing this problem. First it will be necessary to find out if the Metering Reservoir is actually already full. If it is, the pump won't turn on because there is no need to add water.

You can check whether the Metering Reservoir is full by carefully removing the rubber ring around the top of the Metering Reservoir and lifting the lid to peer inside. If the Metering Reservoir is full, you can drain it by turning the RENEW™ off and then back on, and then pressing and holding the yellow button for at least five seconds. You'll hear the valves open and the contents will drain.

If the Replacement Water Metering Reservoir is found to be full, and if you press and hold the button for five seconds and you don't hear the valve for the Replacement Water Metering Reservoir open or if it doesn't drain, the cable is quite likely not plugged all the way into the Control Module. Sometimes they appear to be fully plugged in but are in fact backed out just a bit. There should be a slight "click" when fully plugged into the connector.

After you check these and drain the metering reservoirs, turn the RENEW™ off and then back on. The following lights should be solidly illuminated:
1. Day, Week, or Continuous
2. Sump (if running in Advanced or Pro modes)
3. Bin (if running in Advanced or Pro modes)
4. The display will show the number of gallons you have set

No other lights should be illuminated, either solidly or blinking. If they are, compare what you see to pages 7-8 in the most recent manual (July 2013) available on our website. This will provide you with a detailed explanation of what the RENEW™ is communicating to you with suggestions on how to remedy the issue. Additional information can be found in the troubleshooting section on pages 9-10.

Once the indicators display as indicated in the numbered list (1-4) above, you are ready to start a new water change sequence. When you press the Start button both pumps will turn on and start filling the Metering Reservoirs. Watch to ensure that the Replacement water pump does turn on and starts filling the Replacement Water Metering Reservoir. If the pump never turns on, then there is a blown fuse in the Control Module, caused by a current draw of over 2.5A for an extended period of time. That's an unusual occurrence, so I would doubt it is the case, but it is a possibility if the pump were to become jammed or if it is a large pump that draws more than 2.5A on a continuous basis.

While the Replacement Water Metering Reservoir may have been where the original issue you're describing originated, there is no means for the RENEW™ to return the waste water back to your sump, only to the original destination (in this case, the waste water is intended to be delivered to a waste drain or receptacle).

I hope this helps find and resolve the issue!

Kevin

den75
10/21/2013, 05:41 PM
Thank You for your reply. I checked the metering reservoirs and both are empty. When I turn the system on The bin level sensors are lit and the day light is lit and flashes every 5 seconds indicating a daily water change. I also have set to change 2 gallons per day which I see. When I initiate a water change by pressing the yellow button the fill light comes on, but the pumps never do. After about 90 seconds the fill and dispense lights start to blink along with the high level lights on both reservoirs. I did this again and plugged my cell phone into the outlets on the Renew module while the system was trying to initiate a change to test for power and each outlet had power as they were charging the cell phone. Is it possible both pumps are failing at the same time?

GenesisReefSys
10/21/2013, 07:36 PM
It seems rather unlikely that both would fail at the same time. Is it possible that the Metering Reservoir cables are not fully plugged in?

I wasn't sure if you were saying the mixing bin sensor indicator is solidly illuminated or if the indicators for the sensors in the Metering Reservoirs were solidly illuminated (many people call the Metering Reservoirs "bins"). If any of the Metering Reservoir indicators are solidly illuminated, this would be indicative of the cable(s) not being fully plugged in, since it would think that the sensors' circuits would be open.

den75
10/22/2013, 06:33 AM
It's the sump level light under Aquarium Sump on the bottom left and the bin level light under replacement bin on the bottom right that are solid when I turn the unit on. All cables seem to be fully seated. The system has been running about 5 months with no problems.

GenesisReefSys
10/22/2013, 07:19 AM
You're right - it's kind of looking like the pumps are taking a little undeserved vacation together. That is one heck of a coincidence.

Do you have any other pumps that you could use just to test? What model pumps are the ones that don't seem to be working?

den75
10/22/2013, 09:17 AM
The pumps are the eheim 1000's you sell with the system. I have actually ordered two more. Worse came to worse I figured I would have some spares. I'm travelling on business for a few days and won't get to check again until the end of the week. I'll let you know how it turns out or if I need more assistance. Thank you.

den75
10/25/2013, 09:28 AM
Hi Kevin,
Just a quick update. Got around to installing my new pumps this morning and initiated a few water changes and everything works fine. Apparently both pumps did indeed fail at the same time. I feel so lucky. Maybe it's time to play the lottery now that I am on a hot streak :-)

Thanks for your assistance

GenesisReefSys
10/25/2013, 10:53 AM
I'm glad to hear your RENEW™ is back up and running well.

You might want to check the impellers on the two older EHEIMs; they're pretty darn bulletproof pumps in my experience. Maybe they're jammed with debris? A couple years ago I found a biopellet stuck between the volute housing and impeller on one of mine that I thought had finally bought the farm, and ever since the biopellet was removed it has continued to perform like a champ. I've never been able to figure out how that biopellet made it in there ... :confused: ... All I can figure is that it was stuck to my hand when I reassembled it after cleaning it several months before.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Have a great weekend!