PDA

View Full Version : New goby won't eat

BigJim
10/22/2013, 05:15 PM
I got a pink watchman goby 7 days ago from liveaquaria and it has yet to eat. I've tried cyclopeeze and my normal homemade food of shrimp/scallops/clam mixture. The goby just stays in the PVC pipe in my QT rarely coming out. Any tips?

Newsmyrna80
10/22/2013, 06:48 PM
Do you have any kind of sand in the QT? My pink spotted goby would not eat while he was in the QT, well not that I saw. What I ended up doing was putting a small plastic container (like what Chinese food comes in) filled with sand. I then put his PVC on top of that. Then I would squirt some mysis or caviar in front of the PVC and let it fall into the sand. He would then dig into the sand and sift out the food.

BigJim
10/23/2013, 10:43 AM
Interesting. Would I just be better off putting it in my display tank? There are no signs of infections or parasties. It's only been a week though, russian roulette I guess.

BigJim
10/23/2013, 05:08 PM
Newsmyrna80,
You might be a goddamn genius. I tried your suggestion and sure as sh!t, the goby started sifting through the sand. It didn't eat yet but at least it seems like it is trying and is more active.

And as a side note, a grey head wrasse that I got in the same order has seemed to bury itself in the sand. At least that's what I think b/c I don't see it now. That's a normal response for that fish so that looks good as well.

Newsmyrna80
10/23/2013, 05:47 PM
Newsmyrna80,
You might be a goddamn genius. I tried your suggestion and sure as sh!t, the goby started sifting through the sand. It didn't eat yet but at least it seems like it is trying and is more active.

And as a side note, a grey head wrasse that I got in the same order has seemed to bury itself in the sand. At least that's what I think b/c I don't see it now. That's a normal response for that fish so that looks good as well.

:lmao: I'm glad I could help. The goby will eat eventually. If he's sifting sand he'll get food.
When I QT wrasses I put a bowl of sand in there as well. It gives them security, lessens stress, etc. Don't be surprised if the wrasse stays in there for a couple of days.
Enjoy:)