PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf lionfish won't even eat live food

stephent89
10/22/2013, 08:36 PM
I recently bought a dwarf zebra lionfish. He is about 2 inches long. The first day he ate two live ghost shrimp without hesitation. That was the last time he has eaten in three days. Tried soaking the live shrimp in garlic and still won't eat. He looks good and is quite active. I notice he's most active when just the blue LEDs are on or when no lights are on at all. Tried feeding him at those times with no luck. Saw where some use a stealth stick. I tried that with no luck. Is it normal for them to go this long without eating?

Rollins4Miles
10/22/2013, 09:18 PM
The little guy may still be settling into his new home. It's a good sign that he ate, but I can understand your concern that he hasn't eaten in three days. I've had two dwarf lions and they were fed two or three times a week. I wouldn't be overly worried about him going three days without eating. I would try again in a day or two and see what happens. Both of mine would easily eat two dozen ghost shrimp in a 24 hour period to give you an idea.

Make sure you have lids on your tank. I lost both of mine to carpet surfing.

stephent89
10/23/2013, 12:27 AM
Thanks a lot. I will wait a while longer and try again. Yes, I heard of how they can jump out. All sides except the back is shielded by the canopy. I have clear 3/4" netting along the back of the canopy to block him from jumping out there. The stuff works great and is cheap from bulk reef supply.

namxas
10/24/2013, 10:00 AM
Your lionfish was plenty stuffed with the two ghosties. It's gonna be a bit before its hungry again. These fishes have slow metabolisms, as they're often binge/fast preds...they eat when they can, fill up, and digest awhile.

Also, realize that lionfishes can go quite awhile without food (a healthy adult can go a month without losing too much body mass), altho we prefer to feed tiny juvies small amounts a bit more often than we feed adult specimens. FWIW, we feed adults 3x a week (M-W-F, weekends off), while we tend to feed juvies smaller amounts every-other day as they're still growing.

As for getting the fish weaned, it's all about the tools, technique, and patience. The first thing you want to do is get the fish eating for you, once it's been a solid feeder for awhile, and it gets some weight on it, that's when you should try to wean the fish.

Let the fish get a bit hungry and try to find some small ghosties for it. Then feed it one per feeding for now, and give it at least a day between feedings. If you can find some Gammarid amphipods online or elsewhere, they will be hunted and eaten with gusto. Juvie lionfishes love pods.

I don't know if you've given the article a read, but this may help:

Tools of the Trade: Equipment & Techniques to Convert your Fish onto Frozen (http://www.lionfishlair.com/feedingtechniques/toolsofthetrade.shtml)

stephent89
10/24/2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks a lot namxas! That was a lot of help. It's good to know they can go so long without eating. I'll wait a little longer to feed him another ghostie