PDA

View Full Version : Biopellet outlet to ext. skimmer inlet options

desjardinii
10/23/2013, 05:53 PM
How would you set up your biopellet effluent for an external skimmer?
Straight in as the only feed source for the skimmer? or would you run the effluent to a seperate pump, say in the first chamber in the sump and then use that as the skimmer feed? The first option will only use one feed pump for both saving running costs and heat and the second option would give more flexability with flow. Any pics of peoples setups would be cool, my new skimmer's an RO XP5000Ext and the reactor's an RO BF110, fed by an Eheim compact 5000, turned down. Currently been using an RLSS R8i with the biopellet effluent and overflow both directed near the skimmer pump inlet, all sitting in the first chamber of the sump.

tombone86
10/23/2013, 08:55 PM
Well a buddy of mine has his set up with a pvc t. And the out from the bio pellets in one side and the other side open for water to come in he really likes it this way. Im not sure I have mine just in front of the skimmer but its just a option

Joel_155
10/23/2013, 09:01 PM
If the external skimmer is recirculating you could use the biopellets as the feed pump

slapshot
10/23/2013, 09:40 PM
I just dump my output near the skimmer input. It's not mandatory all the water go through the skimmer. In fact if you have SPS and/or NPS they will feed on the extra bacteria.