PDA

View Full Version : Radion Spectrum, Constant or Variable?

atp0726
10/23/2013, 07:01 PM
What is everyones opinion on spectrum with their Radions? What I mean by this is it better to keep the spectrum constant through most of the day or ramp up then down through the various Kelvin channels. For instance, are people seeing better growth/color by quickly ramping up to lets say a 20k spectrum and keeping it there at a constant intensity until ramping down for the evening or are you seeing better results by slowly moving through the different Kelvin spectrum throughout the day (i.e.,all blue, 20k, 18k,14k 12k 14k 18k, 20 all blue,).

Until know we really haven't had the ability to change the Kelvin temperatures throughout the day. With T-5s or Halides you can only change the intensity by raising or lowering the lights and the Kelvin temperature doesn't change. With the programming variations of the Radion we now have the ability to move through different spectrums and my long winded questions is is this a good thing for corals?

mikeatjac
10/24/2013, 05:48 AM
Is that not what the sun does? So I think the corals are fine with different intensities and spectrums.

erndog1001
10/24/2013, 06:13 PM
I agree with mikeatjac. We are now more closely mimicking the sun's own light. Gotta be good. I know mine look awesome.

atp0726
10/24/2013, 07:30 PM
Is that not what the sun does? So I think the corals are fine with different intensities and spectrums.

I agree with mikeatjac. We are now more closely mimicking the sun's own light. Gotta be good. I know mine look awesome.

The sun changes intensity throughout the year and day but I think the spectrum stays the same. Corals at different depths in the ocean receive a different spectrum because the different wavelengths are filtered out as you go deeper. Unless the water depth were to drop dramatically I would think the spectrum should remain the same.

By no means do I consider myself an expert. I have had a Radion for a couple years now and have tried multiple programs with mixed result. I guess I am still searching for the holy grail of programs.

My thinking would be to set all points at 20k (trying to mimic Radium Halide bulb) and only adjust the intensity throughout the day, peaking and then ramping back down. Has anyone tried this already, hate to re-create the wheel here if it has already been done.

I am currently running Davids schedule (Amazing 500 gallon reef running on 12 Radions in this forum) and things are looking good but I think they could be better.

Eastamherstbias
10/24/2013, 09:44 PM
Or just leave it on the way people used to do it on the 90s with Metal Halides. The straight line of intensity.

mikeatjac
10/25/2013, 03:00 AM
As the sun moves the coral receives light from different angles, more or less water to penetrate and therefore the spectrum the coral gets would change.