PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on my Aquascape

Young Nietzsche
10/24/2013, 01:23 AM
Hey everyone. I am starting a new 28 Gallon Nano Cube with dry rock from reefrocks to save money. They are pretty nice but kind of hard to build and as most are large and the space of the tank is pretty small. I have found it hard to make very creative designs. I drew a 15x15 square on cardboard and this (pictures) fit on it, with a few inches to spare in the front and maybe 1/2-1" on the sides. So in the tank it won't be wall to wall. I tried to structure it so I will be able to place some corals at the top and then down the wall as it kind of cascades forward. Also left some room in the front for corals in the sand.

I am pretty happy with it but wanted some honest feedback from you guys. This is my third time I've found something I liked (first time took it down thinking it'd be easy to get it back, second time my mom moved it not realizing I had been playing with these rocks for 3 hours!). Didn't spend nearly as long this time so if it seems to get some negative feedback I'd rather change it now than later. So let me know. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and seriously considered. Thanks!

Young Nietzsche
10/24/2013, 01:25 AM
Sorry but I cannot figure out how to add multiple pictures to one post

Young Nietzsche
10/24/2013, 01:27 AM
This view from top.

Young Nietzsche
10/24/2013, 01:27 AM
Last one. It is supposed to be 31 lbs dry rock in case anyone is interested.

Reefnub
10/24/2013, 01:47 AM
It's a bit too symmetrical if you ask me and I think you have too much rock.
You can always use a flat head screw driver and a hammer to sculpt some rocks.

The 2 below are really nice designs imo.

http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/JBJ-LED-Nano-Reef-1.jpg

A bit overcrowed in this one, but still nice.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/eengmd/IMG_7296a.jpg

Salty Dog24
10/24/2013, 06:06 AM
I like it Young Nietzsche. I like that you have two caves in the center, and other hiding spots in the front and sides. Cleaning the sides of the tank may prove to be difficult, but you can you use a small siphon for those areas.

MacWilliams
10/24/2013, 06:24 AM
I like what it can become. But you dont have much room for corals if you want your fish to use those caves. Least it doesnt look like it in the pictures. Not sure how big the set up is. I have always been partial to the lagoon look in the cubes. Making a small crescent shape and it slowly builds up to the back where its much bigger. You can also leave small gaps in the rocks for caves.

Another thought, you may want to have your parents or friends take a look at it and see what they can come up with. I got so frustrated with mine that i lost all patience and couldnt come up with anything. My father was over one weekend and took 20 minutes and figured out something I am very happy with. lol. Good luck with the scaping. Its the hardest part in the hobby imo. Hah.

Young Nietzsche
10/24/2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Reefnub I agree very symmetrical maybe too symmetrical haha. Those aquascapes in the pictures are beautiful, I would love to see what they look like without the corals to give me a better idea what I would need to build to make it loook like that.

And thanks Salty Dog, that's (caves) one of the features I liked about it as well. I think there would be at least some room to get a small syphon down there like you suggests, probably close to 2" on each side (I guess that's not that big though when I think about it).

Mac I agree with what you said and realized that myself --I would need to decide whether to use the caves to put corals or for my fish. It'd be tough...I am most interested in corals but do want some fish. I am not too familiar with the lagoon look you mentioned but I will look into it. It it just hard to do much in such a limited area.
I think I will try your idea of having my dad give it a shot as well!

Any other feedback let me know! I am thinking of video taping myself undoing the rocks (so I can try and put it back together if I watch it in reverse) and try some new things out tonight or tomorrow. So any ideas would be great!

JiveWalker
10/24/2013, 05:48 PM
I really hate to say this, but to me it looks kind of like a face? But I'm not the one who matters. Do it the way you like it and don't be afraid to rearrange it if you don't. Do what you like best!