PDA

View Full Version : Anenome Bleached??

paperc07
10/24/2013, 09:44 AM
I did some reading online after buying a blue carpet anenome online who looks like its more purple than a blue, but then I came across something called bleaching and I guess stress due to not enough lighting or to much lighting. He is wide open and seems to be doing good. I got him on Monday, here are the pics hopefully someone can help. Let me know if you need better pictures

D-Nak
10/24/2013, 10:12 AM
I'm sure you realize that it makes more sense to do research BEFORE you buy something, but I also understand buying on impulse.

You have what appears to be a slightly bleached purple gigantea. It's hard to tell since we're looking at the back/bottom of it to assess it's condition, but from what I can see it looks very good for an acclimating gig.

My suggestion is to research all gigs on RC. Read all of the threads on gigs in the anemone forum. Many have been sick and have been succcessfully treated. You'll need to spend a few hours reading the threads and first assessing the condition of your gig based on what you've read and the photos you've seen.

For example, bleaching in nems occurs when there isn't enough light. SPS bleach when they get too much light or have another ailment. You'll know by comparing photos of other gigs if yours is bleached or not. If you're still not sure, then simply note it.

At that point, take a few photos of the gig, from the top and front so we can see the mouth, and ask any questions that you have. We're definitely here to help, but it makes the process more efficient when you can provide educated questions. Also include your tank parameters, specifically pH, salinity, nitrate, phosphate, etc. as well as how long your tank has been up and running and the equipment that you're using (specifically lighting).