PDA

View Full Version : Dosing mistake

Reefmedic79
10/25/2013, 01:36 PM
A few weeks ago I had a dosing pump mishap causing a large dose of BRS calcium 2 part. Had some initial losses, i.e. a couple SPS and all my crabs, oddly no snails, shrimp or fish though.

To correct the presumed problem I stopped all dosing, and increased my water change regimen to 10% every 4-5 days over the last couple weeks. I'm using Reef Crystals, and have had no discernible decrease in my MAG and CALC levels. Here are my test results as of today.

Calcium= 730
Magnesium=1860
Alklinity = 6.7dKH
pH = 8.0
Test where preformed with Salifert kits well within their printed expiration dates. I don't know how accurate the results are though for the CALC and MAG because I used +1cc and calculated the additional solution added past the 1cc to determine a total. My ALK has always been on the low side, and I would like to add that I have never dosed MAG as it's always been high >1450.

Here are my questions:

Am I correct to assume that if I resume my ALK dosing only, this will increase the bio-availability of the CALC, in turn reducing the calcium on it's own?

Are there any other suggestions on bringing these numbers down.

downbeach
10/25/2013, 01:42 PM
I think the first thing I'd do is to get a second opinion on the tests. If the numbers are indeed that high, I'd get some regular IO, and do some WC's to get them within recommended levels. Keep an eye on the alk, and only dose if necessary. What's your SG?

Reefmedic79
10/25/2013, 01:45 PM
I think the first thing I'd do is to get a second opinion on the tests. If the numbers are indeed that high, I'd get some regular IO, and do some WC's to get them within recommended levels. Keep an eye on the alk, and only dose if necessary. What's your SG?

I'm on my way to the LFS to confirm the tests.

SG = 1.026