PDA

View Full Version : Winter preparations, need help with buying a "ups"

Twostepper4041
10/26/2013, 11:41 AM
I have a battery back up running my mp10"s, however, in the case of a power outage, how can I keep a heater running? Been looking at ups that run computers, however, they are usually only rated to give you enough time to save your work ands hurt he computer down... I would like to prepare for a 4 hour outage.... Anyone have any suggestions?

Twostepper4041
10/26/2013, 11:44 AM
Would this work?

Reefmedic79
10/26/2013, 11:56 AM
What size tank is this for?

I don't think a UPS will supply enough energy for a long enough time. Consider a small power inverter and a long extension cord from your car or a small Honda 1000W generator. I've heard of electrically inclined building a back-up power unit out of a Marine 12V battery and a power inverter.

A tank getting too cold is usually not as much of an issue as a tank getting too warm. Unless your tank drops below say 74-75 degrees it shouldn't be an issue, but ambient room temp should prevent too much of a drop, unless power is out for more than 12hrs. Blankets wrapped around the tank can help a little as well.

Is there a fireplace in your home? Is the tank in the same room?

maroun.c
10/26/2013, 01:42 PM
Believe a UPS with external batteries (seen one with 4x200Amps Batteries) would allow you to run basic equipment and a heater for few hours.
Believe the best would be a combination of UPS and a generator, Alternating their use works best to cool down the generator (or maybe shut it down at night time) or to recharge the UPS batteries every few hours.

Indymann99
10/26/2013, 03:42 PM
I am in the process of building a Optima Batt + inverter to run my return pump in power outages.

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/product-series.cfm?txtSeriesID=820

I have tested a TripLite RV inverter with a SEALED Optima Batt, and it ran my Mag 9.5 for 9+ hrs (might have run longer but I had to return the RV inverter to the friend I borrowed it from). During that time my tank dropped from 80 to about 78 so temp isnt really a problem. Running the return pump provides enough water circulation and oxygenation (via flow through the sump and back to the DT).

I store my boat Marine batteries at the house during the winter so I have at least 2 other marine batteries that could be switched in to extend run time.

buildinboats
10/27/2013, 05:56 AM
IMO the money spent putting together a UPS or batteries/inverter may be better spent on a small generator. What happens if you lose electric for 24 hours, or 5 days like I did from hurricane Sandy? With a generator you can run the whole tank for as long as you can get gas to keep filling the generator up.