PDA

View Full Version : carpenter flasher wrasse and orange back fairy wrasse compatible??

Zacktosterone
10/26/2013, 02:30 PM
Are they? Does anyone know? I have a carpenter flasher wrasse in my 90 right now

aquaph8
10/26/2013, 04:57 PM
Yes, especially since the carpenters is already established. The Orange back will probably do a little chasing as he grows but I would think they will generally be fine together.

Zacktosterone
10/26/2013, 05:37 PM
Yes, especially since the carpenters is already established. The Orange back will probably do a little chasing as he grows but I would think they will generally be fine together.

What does the carpenter do when its not established?

ilikefish34
10/26/2013, 06:08 PM

Just that seniority is a big deal in the fish world which is why we try to add the more passive fish first and add the more aggressive/territorial fish later on so having the Carpenter ahead of the Orange-back gives you a better chance of everyone getting along.

albano
10/26/2013, 06:30 PM

Work off the books and collect unemployment!

:rolleyes:

Zacktosterone
10/26/2013, 09:07 PM
Work off the books and collect unemployment!

Hahaha. I mean does it help that its already in there? Or is it worse to add them in at the same time?

:rolleyes:

albano
10/26/2013, 09:15 PM
If anything, I think it might depend more on the sizes of the wrasses.
I have 40 wrasses in my 450g DT (27 fairies, 5 flashers, 3 leopards & 5 misc)... I haven't seen a problem between them except occasional chasing...but I always use an acclimation box for 2 or 3 days before releasing them.

ilikefish34
10/27/2013, 06:01 AM
If anything, I think it might depend more on the sizes of the wrasses.
I have 40 wrasses in my 450g DT (27 fairies, 5 flashers, 3 leopards & 5 misc)... I haven't seen a problem between them except occasional chasing...but I always use an acclimation box for 2 or 3 days before releasing them.

That's incredible (in a good way)! Do you have any build threads or additional threads about your DT or fishes?

aquaph8
10/27/2013, 10:24 AM
In your case it's not just size of the wrasse it's also the size of the tank and also number of fish. With 40 wrasses darting in and out of that much space aggression is spread pretty thin.

Zacktosterone
10/27/2013, 10:47 AM
So what I have in my 90 is
4 chromis
2 clowns
1 carpenter wrasse
1 bi color blenny
1 royal gramma

In that order. I'm looking for a nice show fish for the tank but not sure of which one. I know I want to add an orange back fairy wrasse and 1 more fish I'm just not sure of what one. This is my delemma

ilikefish34
10/27/2013, 01:01 PM
In your case it's not just size of the wrasse it's also the size of the tank and also number of fish. With 40 wrasses darting in and out of that much space aggression is spread pretty thin.

I agree, but 40 is still a large number of fish to peacefully reside together without even mentioning the other fishes in there as well. And while albano has a very large DT for the hobby, it pales in comparison to what fish will hold as territories in the wild. I remember Diving in the Bahamas and a small Cherub Angel would give chase to small Four Eye B/Fly and another Cherub within a 7-8' radius of its rock pile (which was already a 3' x 3' mound). After seeing fish in the wild and how much space they utilize, I find it amazing that we can keep them at all.

Zacktosterone
10/30/2013, 09:10 AM
So is it a good pairing?