PDA

View Full Version : Killer coral banded shrimp

keith125
10/26/2013, 05:21 PM
Has anyone ever had problems with their coral banded attacking or killing any fish? I have one that I have witnessed stalking and trying to attack a diamond goby that I eventually lost. And another diamond goby that almost got the best of the shrimp. All my LFS say they are scavengers and shouldn't attack fish as they are supposed to be somewhat like a cleaner shrimp. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Chuck H.
10/26/2013, 05:39 PM
Yep, if they can catch them they will. I just took my mid-sized CBS back to the LFS because he killed all of my porcelain crabs and set his sight on my fire shrimp.

dmh41532
10/26/2013, 05:53 PM
yes, they are considered to be reef safe, but my experience is they are not. I purchased one for my first tank, and it ate part of my firefish's tail, and started to much for a coral. as interesting as it was, it had to go.

keith125
10/26/2013, 05:55 PM
I know for a fact that he killed one diamond goby and almost lost his life in the fight also. But after putting in my fuge and hand feeding until the next molt he regained both "claws" and all the legs on his left side. I bought another diamond and watched him stalk that one around the tank only to find it a couple days later with a nice hole in its side. After months without a sand sifter added a gold headed last night and again watch the CBS lurk after it and try to snip at it!

keith125
10/26/2013, 05:57 PM
Sucks bc I've had the things for a few years now. And have watched it grow into an impressive size(4in from 3/4in start) and literally hand fed the thing and nursed it back to health from near death. But guess time to cut my loses and trade in :/

keith125
10/26/2013, 06:09 PM
Thank you for the responses btw. Greatly appreciated. Confirmed something I've been trying to deny for too long now.