PDA

View Full Version : New (used) Pan World 200PS heating up tank

Curt2199
10/28/2013, 08:23 AM
I have a 105 gallon acrylic cube with a 29 gallon sump and a canopy with a fan under it. I have a LED light and normally get 1 degree of temp increase throughout the day from with temps ranging from 76.5-77.5. I have been running a 1000gph at 5 ft pond pump bought at Lowes for my return and a couple MJ-900s to run reactors. I had the ability to get a Pan World 50px-x or a Pan World 200ps at no cost to me so I went for the 200PS and had my sump drilled. I did all of the plumbing yesterday and got it up and running last night. The 200 PS is running both reactors and my return. I have a section of it plumbed from the output back to the input with a valve for recirc because its a little too powerful for the tank and was overpowering my drain.

Since last night my temp has jumped to 81.5 from its normal 76.5 at night and it's definitely due to this pump. Is this pretty normal as I thought externals were supposed to have less heat transfer. I assumed I would get some increase due to it being a larger pump but the increase has been pretty big. Is there anything I can do to help the pump to not generate as much heat? Is the recirc loop on the output of the pump possibly causing the problems due to the water getting heated multiple times so quickly?

I can probably go with the 50px-x but it doesn't seem to have enough power at around 700gph at 5'. I need to run about 400gph through the reactors. And I'm wondering if going with a 100px-x would still cause heat problems.

slief
10/28/2013, 10:31 AM
Those pumps as well as Velocity pumps and Iwaki pumps generate a ton of heat. The 100x may reduce your heat a bit but I don't remember if that motor block has a fan blade on it. You might try to zip tie a computer fan on the back of the pump and maybe even use some computer CPU heat sinks on the motor block. If you do that, I would get solid copper heat sinks and try to have them machined out to fit the contour of the round motor block. You could also use some CPU grease between the heat sink and the motor and the use some large hose clamps to hold them in place. Still don't think you will get your temps back to the numbers you are used to if you stick with those pumps.

Personally, I stopped using any of those types of pumps on all my tanks in an effort to get away from needing a chiller. I use Reeflo pumps on my big tank and an Eheim 1262 on my 90 gallon tank at my office. If I were you, I'd give serious consideration to an Eheim 1262 for your return and perhaps anther Eheim for your reactors. Those pumps are silent and run cool. You can also run them internal or external.

Curt2199
10/28/2013, 11:12 AM
It has a fan that is working well and the pump doesn't feel overly hot. I'm picking up the 50px-x over lunch to try out. it may be closer to what I need.