PDA

View Full Version : how long?

3dees
10/29/2013, 10:38 AM
I added 140 lbs. of live rock to my 120 gal. fowlr two weeks ago. cycle is complete and I'm waiting on my cuc. I have yet to see anything live. I guess this could be a good thing if there are no problem critters. just wondering how long before they show up. the rock is from gulfreef.

Calappidae
10/29/2013, 11:27 AM
Some of the life on the rock we don't notice until years later on. Looking for the life in the rock is like finding a needle in a hay stack. Everything is mostly very tiny and/or hide. Copepods are pretty easy to find everywhere but they are super tiny. Night time is when alot of the hitchhikers such as bristleworms come out.

Reeferz412
10/29/2013, 11:51 AM
You should start seeing copepods all over your glass. Use a magnifying glass, you should be able to easily see them.

UTCReefer
10/29/2013, 02:50 PM
Wait for a couple hours after lights out and then shine a flash light into your tank. I'll bet you see pods at the very least. Other than that in another 6 months you'll have soo much moving around in there you wont bother trying to find it.

3dees
10/29/2013, 03:35 PM
ok, thanks. I look at night and see nothing. I'm not worried. how do they go that long without being seen? don't they have to eat something?

Calappidae
10/29/2013, 04:01 PM
ok, thanks. I look at night and see nothing. I'm not worried. how do they go that long without being seen? don't they have to eat something?

They live off the live rock. live rock is taken out of the ocean so any sponge, animal, coral, macro/micro algae, etc could be on that rock where it is collected..

I bought a peice of rock awhile back.. I inspect all my LR when buying it for any hitchhikers. After a few months a huge 5 inch micro brittle made home in my tank outa no where.

These hitchhikers usually surprise us later on rather than right away.. when I look for mine I can't seem to find anything but they will just randomly appear whenever I'm not paying attention.

Copepods will appear, but they are smaller than ticks so a huge magnefying glass may be needed.