PDA

View Full Version : How come I have to dial in my skimmer everyday?

DrewBrees713
10/29/2013, 03:04 PM
I have an external skimmer that draw water from the sump baffle. The water line in the skimmer drop not a whole lot but enough to where I'd have to adjust it everyday and it gets old pretty quick. Please help guys!

jinks
10/29/2013, 03:17 PM
Is the area where the skimmer draws from have a constant water level and what skimmer?

mcgyvr
10/29/2013, 03:41 PM
just a crappy skimmer probably..

viggen
10/29/2013, 04:15 PM
What kind of skimmer.... What pump...

One of the numerous advantages to a external skimmer is sump water level doesn't affect them... Or at least its not suppose to.

Is the pumps return line above or below the water level?

DrewBrees713
10/29/2013, 04:32 PM
It's a Reefoctopus made from CHina not sure if theyre the same as the popular ReefOctopus line here in the states . I had used other skimmers and they too did the same thing. The water exiting from the skimmer is below the water level.

@Jinkn

Yes the water in my baffle is level. It doesn't go up or down at all.

DrewBrees713
10/29/2013, 04:33 PM
just a crappy skimmer probably..

You can say anything about me but don't you dare insult my skimmer :uzi:

slief
10/29/2013, 04:40 PM
I'd say it's one of 4 things.

My first guess would be that your sump level is varying too much from evaporation and a lack of an ATO.

Second guess is that it's not properly adjusted.

Third could be a pump that is not working properly or has something stuck inside the impeller housing.

If none of the above, then your skimmer is likely too big for your system or biological load and as the nutrients in your water decrease from the skimmer, it needs to be readjusted to export more stuff by raising the water level in the skimmer. Frankly, this is a very likely scenario. Many people think that bigger is better when it comes to skimmers but it doesn't always work out that way.

johnike
10/29/2013, 04:44 PM
I suffer from touchy skimmer syndrome myself. I swear sometimes I can fart and have to dial it back in.
PM bullet II with an Iwaki MD55RLT here.
Keeping it clean seems to help quite a bit.

psidriven
10/29/2013, 04:49 PM
It's a Reefoctopus made from CHina not sure if theyre the same as the popular ReefOctopus line here in the states . I had used other skimmers and they too did the same thing. The water exiting from the skimmer is below the water level.

@Jinkn

Yes the water in my baffle is level. It doesn't go up or down at all.

if the skimmer output opening is submerged, changing water level in your sump will affect the skimmer and require you to tune it.

if your skimmer is external and drawing from a constant water level, try having the output open above the max water level. this should make your skimmer more consistent. you can have it empty into a bubble trap if the bubbles bother you.

motojoe1988
10/29/2013, 04:59 PM
Try raising the skimmer so the output is not submerged. Try putting the skimmer on something like a pvc riser or something. Get creative

Allentown
10/29/2013, 05:05 PM
You need a steady water level. Set it a few inches from the top and leave it. I had to adjust mine a lot to but realize it's performance varies according to feeding, putting your hands in the water, fish waste etc.