PDA

View Full Version : Test kits (PO4,calcium,dKH)

Snowgrrl83
10/30/2013, 06:24 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a test kit to test my phosphates, calcium and alkalinity in my tank. I have the API test kit for ammonium, nitrites, nitrates and pH and love this kit although I'm not sure about the reliability of the pH reading since I've read that these pH tests aren't always accurate. Would the API reef test kit for phosphate, calcium and alkalinity be an appropriate test kit? Anyone know if this kit is reliable?

downbeach
10/30/2013, 06:33 AM
I would suggest either Salifert or the new Red Sea Pro for Ca, Mg and Alk. Red Sea has a nice all in one kit for these. As far as PO 4, I think you'd be better served with a Hanna meter.

dubmaneh
10/30/2013, 07:16 AM
The Red Sea pro kit "reef foundations" has Ca, Alk and Mg. Very easy to use and clear to read. Refills for the reagents are also affordable. (Caution though; be sure that your test kit has not expired when you buy it. Some expired reagent I bought nearly brought disaster to my tank).

As for PO4, the Red Sea is esay to use but the shades of green are difficult to choose between. I have no experience with the Hanna for this but think a digital readout would be better. IMO.

tmz
10/30/2013, 12:58 PM
I've use salifert for all of those for years but rely primarily on the hanah 713 colorimeter for PO4 with only an occasional crosscheck with the Salifert test.

fltekdiver
10/30/2013, 01:42 PM
I couldn't agree more with the above statements , I think both kits are good , myself I went with Red Sea cause I use their salt, lol

Timfish
10/30/2013, 01:51 PM
For phosphates I use Elos Professional and I use API for pH, Alk and Calcium.

For a surprisingly favorable review of API in test kit comparison look here:
http://dfwmas.org/files/TestKitAnalysis.pdf

And this article has a good discussion about 2/3 way through:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/6/chemistry

hilgert
10/30/2013, 06:54 PM
I used to use Salifert, but the kits are expensive and the only LFS that carries them sell them for a very princely sum.

I now use the Red Sea kits weekly for the Big Three. As long as you follow the directions they are very easy to use, accurate (I've compared to my Salifert kits) and repeatable. The kit design is tops...they've done a very nice job.

I do test Alk almost every day, and for that I use the API KH kit. REALLY simple, quick (I can grab water, test and rinse in about 30 seconds) and inexpensive.

I posted a way to actually use the API kit in "high resolution" awhile back. I don't do that much anymore...I just use the one drop per dKH testing to see if there is a trend change, and then correlate with my Red Sea kit weekly.

High Resolution API KH Test Kit (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1787607)

blanden.adam
10/30/2013, 07:20 PM
I agree that salifert and red sea are probably the most commonly used good test kits. Hanna checker seems to be the consensus for phosphate testing. A word of caution about pH test kits though -- they aren't really worth your time. Their accuracy and precision are just too low to be of any use to you. A calibrated pH meter is the only real good way to measure pH, and while I think it's good to know it's not something I'd be worried about buying right away.

camblonie
11/07/2013, 12:11 PM
I love the design of the Red Sea reef kit. Need some replacement tips though. Two were damaged when I got it.