PDA

View Full Version : Please help identify this issue

jclayto
10/30/2013, 09:38 AM
I am still having some issues with my tank and could really use advice. I had an issue a few months ago where my royal gramma developed what I thought was ick and then died. My clown fish then developed similar spots and died and the neon goby started looking bad as well. I dosed with Metronidozle blended with focus and after a while the goby started looking normal and seem so to be doing okay now. The six line wrasse and fire shrimp seemed to never be affected .

6-7 weeks and many water changes have passed and I decided to add a new clown fish last Friday. By Sunday, he was displaying similar spots. Can anyone look at this photo and give me a guess? Is it ich? Velvet?

http://people.clemson.edu/~jclayto/clown.jpg

Thanks!

Deinonych
10/30/2013, 10:26 AM
It looks like ich to me. Did you quarantine the new clownfish? If not, he may have brought it into the tank, or you didn't eradicate the parasite with the previous treatments.

Mrscribbled
10/30/2013, 06:22 PM
Definitely ich, since you always had fish present (even though they did not show signs) the parasite was able to continue it's lifecycle. Until all fish are removed for 12 weeks, nothing will change. The only effective treatments must be done in a hospital tank.
I've heard people having success with Metro in curing a fish from ich, but it will not erradicate it. I tried it on a fish a while back and saw no possitive results from it.

jclayto
10/31/2013, 09:06 PM
I would like to thank everyone for responding. I am still new to this hobby and have not set up a hospital or quarantine tank. It sounds like this should be my next step.

Dmorty217
11/01/2013, 09:14 PM
I would like to thank everyone for responding. I am still new to this hobby and have not set up a hospital or quarantine tank. It sounds like this should be my next step.

Should of been the first step, but we all make mistakes. Problem you have now is you need to treat all fish you currently have and leave your DT fish less for at least 9 wks (I would wait 11 to be absolutely sure) to kill off the ich. Also you will need to treat all current fish with cupramine or is you can find it quality chloroquine phosphate in a hospital tank