PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Hawkfish Eating CNC

asmodyus
10/30/2013, 06:51 PM
SO I have been having alot of empty shells from my smaller hermits and my small Nassarius snails and was wondering what up. But I now have watched my hawk fish attack and eat the smaller Nassarius snails and its probably eating the hermits, but leaves the bigger hermits and snails.

Any suggestion on what to do with the Clean up Crews? I have Some Bigger Snails and couple of bigger hermits.

Also I just Bought a Royal Gamma from my fish Guy but its like only an 1" big and my Yellow Damsel which is about 2" big Never bothered any other fish( Have 2 True Clowns, a Azure Damsel, and the Spotted Hawk) in my tank was trying to Eat it today I swear it was nipping at it running after it until it hid in rock and now I cannot even find pretty sure its in some whole.

Any Recommendations.

MrTuskfish
10/30/2013, 07:22 PM
A CUC isn't vital and most hawkfish will eat any invert it can. You may want to get in the habit or researching fish before you buy.

FTDelta
10/30/2013, 07:26 PM
Hawkfish will eat inverts (hermits, snails, shrimp). Most likely the Hawkfish has already claimed his territory and leaving none for your Royal Gramma. The RG also need rock to hide in as well. Perhaps re-arranging your rockwork to start anew might cut down the aggression.

asmodyus
10/30/2013, 07:29 PM
A CUC isn't vital and most hawkfish will eat any invert it can. You may want to get in the habit or researching fish before you buy.

Umm I did.

Live Aquaria
overview
This very unique looking Hawkfish is white with red-brown spots that run diagonally along the body. They have small tufts of bright yellow on the tips of their dorsal fin ray called cirri. They are also known as the Spotted Hawkfish but should not be mistaken for Cirrhitichthys aprinus.

A 30 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of hiding places is acceptable for this hardy and aggressive fish. It should not be kept with larger more aggressive hawkfish. Although it eats small fish and shrimp, with caution, it can make an excellent reef inhabitant.

The Falco Hawkfish diet should include a variety of marine meats, frozen preparations, and live feeder shrimp.

Other Source

Carnivorous fish that will swoop down to eat its prey, which should include brine shrimp, frozen preparations, live shrimp, live fish, and other meaty foods. Will not discriminate between food and ornamental shrimp.

I know they eat shrimp but now where Have I read said they would eat Snails and Hermits.

terrypercula
10/30/2013, 07:29 PM

Indeed a good habit for many reasons.

asmodyus
10/30/2013, 07:33 PM
Hawkfish will eat inverts (hermits, snails, shrimp). Most likely the Hawkfish has already claimed his territory and leaving none for your Royal Gramma. The RG also need rock to hide in as well. Perhaps re-arranging your rockwork to start anew might cut down the aggression.

Yeah I just bought the royal in today the hawk fish was fine with it. It was the yellow Damsel that was what look like trying to eat but it went inside my large Coral like Rock and today and planted it self inside but now I went there and could not see it but I have a lot of Hiding Places for it. Could it be because it was so small. My Yellow Damsel is my first fish and it has never bothered any fish until today but all my other fish are the same size to it.