PDA

View Full Version : Could use a second opinion......

Bd670
10/31/2013, 07:05 AM
Hello all, brief background.
6 month old 30 gallon fluval edge, drilled but no overflow box. Has a 205 canister.
live stock,
2 clowns, 1 carpenters wrasse, 1 banghi cardinal
1 fire shrimp and 1 skunk cleaner.
After I set up the tank and followed the LFS recommendations, I did my own research (I know backwards) and discovered my mistakes. Have been on the prowl for a new tank since.
So my fish ended up with ICH, I plan on doing a tank transfer style treatment.

Heres my plan
I have 2 large tubs that I plan to use. I am thinking I can do all 4 fish and the two shrimp at the same time.....because I don't know what to do with the shrimp..
move fish on day 4 into cleaned tub and then back to other cleaned tub 4 days later
Then while this is going on
Put my live rock 50 ish lbs in a third container with a powerhead and forget about it more or less for 10 weeks. keeping an eye on water and doing WC if and when needed.
Break down the 30 and clean with bleach solution, add overflow and sump.
Add new dead rock and dead sand. start cycle with raw shrimp.
now assuming all goes well with the above I am thinking I should be ich free and all fish should be healthy. I also plan to treat them with Prazi I believe after TT as I should have time while tank cycles.
Then after fallow period of dry rock I can use the old rock and new rock to set up a larger tank and use existing as a QT...
Any thoughts before I start this adventure?

Thanks all

gt1009
10/31/2013, 07:11 AM
Make sure you don't use any copper based medication with the shrimp, as that is highly toxic to inverts. Also you should be fine using your existing LR after drying it out for a few weeks. Cleaning the tank with bleach should work fine too. I just got done doing it with a freshwater tank that was full of algae. We're about a month back into having it running and no algae yet!

FTDelta
10/31/2013, 07:17 AM
First thing I'd do is invest in a protein skimmer and ditch the canister filter. Skimmers do a far better job keeping your tank clean while the canister filter is notoriously known to be nitrate factories. They're not worth the bother to maintain while the skimmer is much easier to maintain.

Bd670
10/31/2013, 09:49 AM
First thing I'd do is invest in a protein skimmer and ditch the canister filter. Skimmers do a far better job keeping your tank clean while the canister filter is notoriously known to be nitrate factories. They're not worth the bother to maintain while the skimmer is much easier to maintain.

Yup the sump is phase 1 of the skimmer add.
Also I plan on keeping the live rock in SW with a powerhead for a good long fallow period....
Any reason why it wouldn't be ok in there as long as I WC when and if required? Do I need to be concerned about ammonia if no fish are present?

Bd670
11/01/2013, 07:43 AM
One other question I have is can I use my tap water to make the SW for the tank changes? I have tested it and it doesn't show any ammonia. So far I have been hauling water from LFS for water changes and have a RO DI filter in the future plan...

MacWilliams
11/01/2013, 08:25 AM
I wouldnt not use the tap water. If any tap water had ammonia in it i would be surprised and maybe even a little scared. Its the other trace elements you probably dont have the equipment to test that is the issue. Keep getting water from the LFS until you ge a RODI unit. Much safer and that can eliminate any question in the future if something does go wrong.