PDA

View Full Version : RODI Part replacement?

BOSLawGuy
10/31/2013, 12:36 PM
I bought a RODI off a fellow RC'er ....
It seems I got two,

One says Coralife on it, the other a different brand name.
Total, there are 4 canisters (2 on each bracket), 2 membrane holders.

Question 1:
Should I hook up BOTH membrane canisters into one system?

Question 2:
I need all new media/filters/memberanes....
Do all of them fit in all the canisters? Do I have to get coralife's etc?
I would prefer to buy from somwhere reliable (BRS, etc)

Thanks everyone!

oscarinw
10/31/2013, 07:43 PM
My gut tells me this is a 4 or 5 stage system but 1 filter. The different brands wouldn't say so though...
Your situation is a little hard to decipher because that needs to be resolved before anything else. Could you call the guy who sold it to you?

As far as the Not familiar with that specific type of filter so I couldn't tell you but maybe the coralife website could.

tonyda1st
10/31/2013, 08:49 PM
Or could you post pictures of it? I had a similar situation with my rodi

BOSLawGuy
11/02/2013, 03:21 PM
Sorry for late reply, here are pictures...

I guess I thought most (all?) filters were pretty much interchangeable?

As you can see - It looks to me like 2 system, because of the 2 housings for membranes.
The canisters are also different (2 sets)...

on the spot
11/02/2013, 03:29 PM
The filter material you can get from any of the sponsors. sediment, carbon, membrane, etc...

That's interesting you got two separate systems. What I'd do in that case is use one membrane. Use three of the four canisters for pre-filters. Use the fourth for DI.

You could piggy back the extra membrane, to reduce your water waste. I doubt house pressure would be sufficient to do this, requiring a booster pump, negating gains in water by increasing electrical use.

BOSLawGuy
11/02/2013, 03:32 PM
So, it sounds like you are saying the filters are interchangeable (as in they will fit in any system?)
What do you suggest for filters? And in what order do they go in ...

Sorry, really new to RODI systems.

BOSLawGuy
11/02/2013, 03:57 PM
Does this order make sense:
1x 100 GPD REVERSE OSMOSIS MEMBRANE - GE OSMONICS
1x 1 MICRON PURTREX SEDIMENT FILTER
1x 5 MICRON PURTREX SEDIMENT FILTER
1x 10" - 0.6 MICRON MATRIKX CTO PLUS CARBON BLOCK
1x 2.5" X 10” CLEAR REFILLABLE CARTRIDGE FOR DI RESIN (STANDARD)
1x ONE CARTRIDGE REFILL (1.25 LBS.) DI RESIN - COLOR CHANGING

on the spot
11/02/2013, 03:59 PM
So, it sounds like you are saying the filters are interchangeable (as in they will fit in any system?)
What do you suggest for filters? And in what order do they go in ...

Sorry, really new to RODI systems.

Yes, the "guts" are interchangeable.

I'd start with your municipal water report if so equipped. If on a well you will have different requirements.

Pick a sponsor, or other outlet to acquire your stuff. Most of them are quite helpful with regards to replacing your filters.

My set-up is as I described. Sediment filter, two carbon filters, the membrane, and DI. In the spirit of full disclosure I currently have both a BRS unit and a Air, Water, Ice unit. Both have preformed well, and I have been pleased with their customer support. It's not an endorsement, just information.