PDA

View Full Version : I think I made a rookie mistake!!!

Asbury030
10/31/2013, 07:10 PM
Well fellas I made my first sump/ refugium. I used some silicone from home depot that was 100% silicone and actually ran out of that stuff so ran to ace hardware just because it is closer. I looked all around for something that was not mildew resistant and came across the silicone 2 GE general household repair and looked all over the tube to and did not say anything about being mildew resistant. But to my knowledge now I find out it is. But I only used this GE 2 silicone on one baffle. my tank was cloudy for about 2 days lost my urchin. So I ran some carbon tank cleared up but I think I lost my starfish today. but my tank looks fine... my 2 fish look okay also my snails, hermit crab and emerald crab look like they are doing good as for my corals they look ehh. My question to you guys is what should I do now? Is my whole tank compromised? It is a 20 gallon high with a 10 gallon as my refuge.

willyboy
10/31/2013, 07:36 PM
I would at least take that baffle out and re-do it. It will continue to leach toxic stuff into the water. Do a large water change or two after you get that baffle out of the system

Asbury030
10/31/2013, 07:52 PM
Damn! that's what I was afraid of... unfortunately I cant do anything till tomorrow.

oscarinw
10/31/2013, 08:45 PM
I would second that. Nothing to support that this is the case but I have heard the stuff keeps releasing toxins for months.
Cut it, scrape it, reseal it...

Khemul
10/31/2013, 09:06 PM
How long did you let it cure for?

It isn't the mildew resistance that is the problem. People see that and assume it is the reason the silicone is bad. It's usually cure time that is the problem. The directions on the bottle aren't even in the same ball park as what is required for aquarium usage.

Removing the baffle and doing it over isn't going to do anything to help that.

tonyda1st
10/31/2013, 09:30 PM
Better to re do it than to wait and lose more corals or fish

rocsec1
11/01/2013, 06:24 AM
If I remember correctly I called GE and they said they didn't make any aquarium safe silcone.

willyboy
11/01/2013, 04:48 PM
If I remember correctly I called GE and they said they didn't make any aquarium safe silcone.

That's just what they say to cover themselves. Get the clear kind for windows and doors. It won't have mildew resistance (good). It is aquarium safe.

mayjong
11/01/2013, 05:40 PM
how long did it dry before you put it in the tank?

any silicone will leach if not cured, don't make the same mistake twice

Khemul
11/01/2013, 07:35 PM
That's just what they say to cover themselves. Get the clear kind for windows and doors. It won't have mildew resistance (good). It is aquarium safe.

It really depends on how long the OP allows it to cure. If not given enough time to cure, Silicone I Windows and Doors is just as dangerous for a tank as Silicone II. Both will leach during the curing process.

It isn't about mildew resistance. Silicone I gets suggested over Silicone II because it is better for our type of usage and it is a little more forgiving on the curing process. But both can be harmful to a tank if rushed.

Asbury030
11/02/2013, 08:39 AM
Well I decided I am going to tear my 10 gallon sump and re do it with this momentive sealant. My question is how long should I let this stuff sit before exposing it to the saltwater? Here is a picture of the stuff I am going to use.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Asbury030/get-attachment-2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Asbury030/media/get-attachment-2.jpg.html)

Asbury030
11/02/2013, 08:39 AM
Oh also what is a safe way to remove all of the old silicone off the tank?

ca1ore
11/02/2013, 08:58 AM
Never seem to be able to get a clear and definitive answer to these kinds of questions - too many opinions based on opinion based on opinion. I just got tired of all the confusion and decided that I would only ever use silicone specifically labelled for aquarium use (even if, at the end of the day, that means I'm paying a hobby premium for standard stuff) and let it cure for at least a week, perhaps two.

RB_PWR
11/02/2013, 08:59 AM
Razor blade to remove it and 48 hours at least on the silicone (at least with the stuff i used). Just be sure your silicone will be ok for aquarium use. I bought mine specifically that says for aquarium use on it so there would be no guessing games.