PDA

View Full Version : Decision Between APEX Controller or Dosing Pumps

wcharon
11/01/2013, 07:33 PM
Hi Folks...

I will be making myself a gift in Black Friday and will like your help and expertise to guide me in the decision between a controller or a dosing system.

At this moment i am dosing 60ml of Alk and 10ml of Calc daily. Was checking the Litermeter III ($515.00 with 2 pumps) and the GHL Profilux ($420.00) with 3 pumps).

The downside of the Litermeter is that i will only have 2 pumps at the moment and that it has a 50ml minimum dosage daily but have the pros of a 5 year warranty, less footprint and later i can include ATO module in the future.

Other option that i have is get the Apex Controller ($500.00) and put 2 BRS dosers ($160.00).

Please advise which route you will go and thanks in advance...

Mpfaff77
11/01/2013, 09:00 PM
I would absolutely say apex. Not only can you control the 2 BRS pumps but every aspect of you aquarium including from away from home and add fail safes to prevent floods

A must have is a break out box and additional float switches. 40$ for break out box and you van find cheap floats on eBay

Apex is easily the best purchased I have ever made in 7 years in reefing

ca1ore
11/01/2013, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I'd echo recommendation for Apex. Really slick piece of kit with lots of opportunities to add modules down the road. I feel more in control of my tank than I ever was before.

sn4265
11/01/2013, 09:32 PM
I have to agree with the others. I have an Apex & absolutely love it. I'm about to get a new protein skimmer & will be setting up some new functionality in the Apex with a float in a skim mate collection bucket to both notify me when the bucket is full as well as to kill the skimmer to prevent a huge mess. In fact I'm thinking of setting up dual floats, one for the full email & then the second a bit higher for the shutoff.

I mentioned all that just to illustrate the kinds of things you can do with the Apex. Not to mention lighting control, ATO, and fails safes like turning off the lights if the temp gets too high. Great piece of gear.

wcharon
11/02/2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the guides... I will accept the recomendations...

Bigcefa
11/02/2013, 08:17 AM
Just an FYI the liter meter can dose as few as 10ml not 50. If go with apex and grab brs dosers as stated

wcharon
11/02/2013, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the clarification...

James77
11/02/2013, 11:24 AM
What else are you wanting to control? If your control needs are minimal, you can always look at the Apex Junior. It can be expanded up to 4 or 5 modules more. I hope I am not bursting your bubble about Black Friday, but Neptune is one of the manufacturers that restrict discounts :(

wcharon
11/02/2013, 01:38 PM
Well to be honest, at this moment my only pain is the dosing in the morning and in the afternoon which sometimes i forget.

Regarding the controller needs, i have been reading and i have in mind Sunpower T5, Skimmer, Jaebo Powerheads, Email alerts, ATO, Fans, Chiller and Dosing ALK and Calc. At least this is my gathering at this point. I am not planning to move to Leds but don't want neither to spend money twice if in the future i change.

Yeahhhh, i know Neptune don't make discounts thats why i am gathering to make a wise decision.

Thanks once again.

What else are you wanting to control? If your control needs are minimal, you can always look at the Apex Junior. It can be expanded up to 4 or 5 modules more. I hope I am not bursting your bubble about Black Friday, but Neptune is one of the manufacturers that restrict discounts :(

Timber77
11/02/2013, 04:00 PM
check out the reef angel…. its better than apex if your on a budget.

Fragtastic Reef
11/02/2013, 06:40 PM
Have you looked into the AquaHouse dosing pumps? With those you don't need a controller as its built into the pumps themselves and can chain the powercords also together. I use them at my store and work awesome.

wcharon
11/02/2013, 07:22 PM
I haven't look at them. Will check now. Thanks. ..

FlyPenFly
11/02/2013, 08:03 PM
Dosing pump then Apex.

While I have a full apex, I much prefer having a separate dosing setup with it's own controller. If the Apex goes down, I'm not royally screwed.

wcharon
11/03/2013, 07:11 AM
Good point. Thanks...

Dosing pump then Apex.

While I have a full apex, I much prefer having a separate dosing setup with it's own controller. If the Apex goes down, I'm not royally screwed.