PDA

View Full Version : Pipe fish

OFishlBusiness
11/02/2013, 12:50 AM
I have a 320 litre we'll established marine tank and are about to introduce a stripped pipe fish... However I do gave a luna wrasse and a tang that I am concerned May be problematic... There are plenty of hiding spots and live shrimp that keep my mandarin happy so what do you guys think is it worth a try or would you say it is a definite no no. Just so you know I also have two clown fish, 5 cromis and a needle nose butterfly.

BlueCorn
11/02/2013, 09:49 AM
[moved]

MrTuskfish
11/02/2013, 11:22 AM
The luna wrasse would have a picnic with the pipefish. Here's all you should need to convince you its a terrible idea:http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+267+1690&pcatid=1690

small alien
11/02/2013, 12:12 PM
With all due respect to The Tusk, those are Shrimp Fish. Same may apply to pipes. That's a pretty spunky looking wrasse species. In my tank, no one pays any attention to the pipes, but I have leopards and a canary for wrasses.

MikeandNicole
11/03/2013, 08:22 AM
We have a blue stripe pipefish in our reef, 205g. We also have earl's wrasses, flame wrasses, Johnson's wrasses, etc. but no large aggressive wrasses.
How is your wrasse with small and delicate fish?
Also, how is your pod population? Mine does not eat any prepared foods, only pods.

SDguy
11/03/2013, 08:32 AM
If by luna wrasse you mean a Thalassoma species, I agree with tusk, pass on the pipes.

MrTuskfish
11/03/2013, 10:14 AM
With all due respect to The Tusk, those are Shrimp Fish. Same may apply to pipes. That's a pretty spunky looking wrasse species. In my tank, no one pays any attention to the pipes, but I have leopards and a canary for wrasses.

I caught that after I posted, LA has them in the pipefish section and LA says basically the same thing about all pipefish. I seldom comment on fish that I don't have any/much experience with; I did that here---hope I didn't lead anyone astray.

o2manyfish
11/03/2013, 12:52 PM
I have been keeping pipefish in a busy community reef tank with very high flow consistently for about 10 years now.

Even after my devestating tank crash last month one of my banded pipes survived.

I have kept them with all sorts of the smaller species wrasses and not had any issues.

However, the big wrasses can be brutes to anything and I could see where they might pick on a pipe just for fun.

For enjoyment, the dragon faced pipes are the most active and visible. The banded pipes tend to be more towards Nocturnal, and tend to like to hang out in the rock works. The blue striped are really entertaining and can be a bit shy. But they tend to dissappear for long periods and then just one day surprise you.

Dragon faced are always on the move on the visible rock work. Before my crash my pair of pipes had been together for almost 3 years. They competed with 3 xlrg mandarins and 5+ wrasses.

Dave B