PDA

View Full Version : Random Flow from Return

Mischke
11/02/2013, 05:09 AM
I plan on setting up an anemone tank (30 gallons, 24X24X12), and have decided to not use power heads or a closed loop systems because of the risk of chopping up an anemone.

I've looked at a few options for creating random flow from a return pump, and the only two solutions I've been able to find are;

Switching Current Water Director (SCWD)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4588+10668&pcatid=10668

Innovative Marine Spin Stream
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4588+24831&pcatid=24831

The reviews on these products state that they're either noisy or unreliable, so I'd prefer not to use them.

Is it possible to just use a return pump, that has two return lines (one on both sides of the tank) for water flow, without it being random? This seems to be the simplest solution, but I was looking for people with experience with a similar set-up. This would be a DC pump, hooked up to a controller, so there would be some randomness as far as turnover rate.

BeanAnimal
11/02/2013, 05:25 AM
Look into Oceans Motions. They are a bit spendy, but Paul (the inventor) stands behind his products and they are amazing.

BeanAnimal
11/02/2013, 05:26 AM
And yes you could use two DC pumps on closed loops with speed controllers to generate somewhat random flow.

Mischke
11/08/2013, 05:25 PM
If I used the return pump for random flow would it be possible to silence a standpipe?

Is it reasonable to run a closed loop system through the overflow as well, instead of a separate intake?

dppitone
11/09/2013, 06:55 AM
You can get a sea swirl used for under $100. As long as it moves, the source doesn't have to have "randomness." The flow in the tank will have it's own random element from it.

r-balljunkie
11/09/2013, 04:44 PM
i have a Hydra Aquatics Twist Water Flow Accelerator..been running it for a year, works fine, no noise. i've cleaned it a few times, easy to take apart and clean.

Reefs1
11/16/2013, 06:16 PM
I use the IM Spin Stream...I consider it a requirement in these tanks. It's a great addition to the set up, but...It's a little fickle because if a small amount of anything gets caught in it you sometimes have to pull it apart and clean it out and reassmeble.

It's nice though perfect amount of flow for the IM tanks.

Ron Reefman
11/17/2013, 08:52 AM
Just to be contrary, I have the big SCWD between my sump and 2 spraybars in the DT. I installed it with 3 unions so I could remove it easily for cleaning. That was 4 years ago, it still works just like it did when it was new and I haven't touched it once! It makes no noise and it switches water every 20-30 seconds with about 1500gph flow through it.

I have a CL with an OM4 and Revolution heads as well. A few months ago I added 2 WP25 wave maker power heads.

And if you want to talk anemone tanks, I have a 70g hexagon anemone tank that shares a 150g sump with my 180g mixed reef. We can chat here or you can send me an email (I can't do PM's for now... ?)