PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Acrylic Tank

tazdvl
11/02/2013, 07:24 AM
I bought a used acrylic tank it is in ok shape but I'm thinking that while it is empty and dry I might as well try to polish it up as best as I can. What polishing agents should I look at to do this? Do I have to go to a plastics store or online to buy polishing agents? Or can I find materials at big box stores?

JonTarutis
11/02/2013, 07:31 AM
Random orbital sander is a must, either electric or air. I use foam pads from Harbor Freight (one use then into the garbage) along with Novus 1,2 and 3. You may want to fill it with water first to see how bad it is, as water tends to mask a lot of scratches you see when the tank is dry.
Good luck!
Jon

on the spot
11/02/2013, 04:26 PM
You won't find the proper abrasives at the box stores. I tried the automotive stores, and specialty paint stores, before ordering online. I went with micro-surface. Completely satisfied with their service, but their web site is tragic.

rk_tek
11/02/2013, 09:31 PM
If there are minor scratches, 'heAdlight restorer' from the auto parts store will work. It is a mild abrasive for removing the haze from plastic headlights. For more serious scratches, the Novus 3 stage polishes are great. I bought mine at a Novus windshield replacement dealer in town.

Da Maui life
11/03/2013, 12:48 PM
I recently removed some minor scratches from sand and typical micro swirl marks from normal cleaning on the out side of my acrylic tank. All the products used was from Meguiars, 3M and recommended by ‘Floyd’ One of the acrylic gurus on RC the job turned out flawless. As for sanding I used the pre-cut 3M assorted pack, wet or dry sandpapers with Meguiars E 7200 backing pad.

IMO you have more control (removal of acrylic) wet sanding scratches by hand then with any orbital sanders as your not dealing with deep scratches or gouges, most of the time. For my needs, medium-light scratches I started out with 800 stepped up 1000, 1500, 2000 feathering out as you go then polished with M105 Ultra-Cut Compound and cut pad, once sanding haze is removed finish off with M9 Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover and polishing pad, you‘ll need a 3”stitch wheel for the inside corners, bottom/top corners.
Micro swirl marks on the outside was simply polished with compounds, no sanding. Clean the Meguiars pads with an old tooth brush in-between applications of compound (spin buffer and apply bristle across pad) and when your finished. That way they will last and can be reused down the road. It cost me about hundred buck for the products but I ended up with a professional looking job, like new out of the box. No haze, swirl marks or blims worth every dollar.
I also maintain the outside of the tank with Brillianize and a micro fiber cloth. Gently tack with damp(water) micro fiber cloth to remove dust, ext. let dry then apply Brillianize. Changing the way I now clean and maintain my tank has made a world of difference in the optical quality of the acrylic.

You can look up products I used below on Amazon.

Meguiar's Self-Centering 8-Inch Rotary Buffer Backing Plate
Meguiar's 8-Inch Soft Buff Foam Cutting Pad (Red Pad)
Meguiar's 8-Inch Soft Buff Foam Polishing Pad
Woodstock D2509 Buffing Wheel, Soft Muslin 3-Inch by 40 Ply by 1/4-Inch Hole (The stitch wheel is for the inside corners)
Meguiar's M105 Mirror Glaze Ultra-Cut Compound - 32 oz.
Meguiar's M9 Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover - 16 oz.

Meguiar's Hi-Tech Sanding Backing Pad
3M(TM) Wetordry(TM) Sandpaper, 03006, 3-2/3 in x 9 in, Assorted, 5 sheets per pack
3M 03022 Imperial Wetordry 3-2/3" x 9" P800 Grit Sandpaper, (Pack of 5)
3M 03018 Imperial Wetordry 3-2/3" x 9" P400 Grit Automotive Sandpaper, (Pack of 5)

jccaclimber
11/03/2013, 05:26 PM
I've tried a couple Meguiar's products with little to no success on both headlights and an 8 foot 300 that came to me with a ton of scratches and a couple deeper gouges. If I were you I'd start with Novus #3 then #2 and see how that does. If it isn't enough, here's what I did with my VERY scratched 300 when I first got it:

1) I was starting with a bare tank that had been in a barn, so I started by cleaning the entire tank with a sponge and water. I didn't want grit from the barn to get under my sanding pad.
2) Random orbit sander (replace the paper often) using 220 grit wet paper. NOTE, I had some very deep gouges to take out, I've known other people to start with 800. Be sure to use wet paper and keep the surface wet so grit doesn't clog the paper. Also be sure to keep moving and not use the corners or you'll end up with a ripple in the tank.
3) Clean the surface with water, and move to the next grit. I went 220>400>800>1000>1500>2000. I then used some 3M Trizact paper (a foam sheet with grit on it) that was listed as 300 grit.
4) Novus polish with a blue rag. This stuff is amazing (and also worked well on my car headlights). I didn't actually need much of this stuff (a little goes a long way like other polishing compounds). The 2 oz. containers would have been enough in hindsight, but I got the next size up.

I liked the stuff enough that I went and did my (very scratched) 10 year old headlights next. Rather than use the random orbit sander I sanded those by hand starting with 1000 grit, and they look like new.

Sethjamto
11/03/2013, 06:18 PM
I've been working on buffing out a 300g acrylic the past few days. I started wetsanding with an electric palm sander with 1000 grit, moving through 1200, 1500, 2000, then 3000 grit. After this I used Meguire's acrylic polish (found in auto stores for headlights) on an electric buffer like you use to wax a car.

Works perfect and the tank comes out looking sweet!

Da Maui life
11/03/2013, 09:12 PM
Not sure what Meguiar’s the above poster used with little or no success sound like the wrong stuff and or technique. One must use a real buffer with variable speed as you need to ramp up or down the RPM’s for each compound, along with the right pads. The Meguiar’s products work well with the appropriate compounds, buffer, pad's and technique.

You can see some scratches on the closest panel and the side panel has been sanded

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/mauilife/2013-09-12170424_zpsb5606f9a.jpg

After polishing
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/mauilife/2013-09-13102521_zps1f70c585.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/mauilife/2013-09-12170409_zps3147e551.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/mauilife/2013-09-13102537_zps2a41945c.jpg

ptreef
11/06/2013, 12:19 PM
lots of great info!

In past i did the wet sanding with paper from kit from like 1000-3000. finished with novus products.

Meguirs stuff sounds like a sweet way to go to!

One thing I will reiterate. Start with less abrasive and then go more abrasive if need be to make the chore easier.

Da Maui life
11/06/2013, 01:10 PM
lots of great info!

In past i did the wet sanding with paper from kit from like 1000-3000. finished with novus products.

Meguirs stuff sounds like a sweet way to go to!

One thing I will reiterate. Start with less abrasive and then go more abrasive if need be to make the chore easier.

Agree with the above in bold as I purchased 400-g. but started with 800g. Didn’t need to step down from 800.

bfin3
01/04/2014, 03:38 PM
I've been looking around at information for buffing out scratches but I'm not fully understanding. How does sanding not scratch it more? Also is it safe to used these polishes on the inside of the tank?

salasaz
01/04/2014, 06:02 PM
gonna try this

Tick1962
01/04/2014, 06:13 PM
i also used novus 123 for a 75 i had it worked great for normal stuff but mine had some gauges in it, even used a small electric buffer, just wouldn't come out, but +1 on filling it first you'll be suprised what you dont see, but i did notice algae would grow in the bigger scratches and were hard to get it out.

salasaz
01/04/2014, 06:32 PM
thats what I want to avoid is the algae in the scratches lol, kind of inevitable with acrylic though....

Gorgok
01/05/2014, 05:14 AM
I've been looking around at information for buffing out scratches but I'm not fully understanding. How does sanding not scratch it more? Also is it safe to used these polishes on the inside of the tank?

Yes it will scratch it more, at first. With coarser grit you will scratch and remove material until your deepest real scratch is even with the sanding. Once that is done you sand a wider area with a finer grit to remove the scratches you made with the previous grit. You keep repeating this wider area, finer grit deal up to and through the compounds. How fine you go determines how clear you get it.

bfin3
01/06/2014, 11:10 PM
Just did it using 600 grit for actual gouges then 1000 and 2000 everywhere to get rid of all the little scratches. followed up with the novus polishes as directed and it is barely better than it was after sanding, I got the gouges but I need a better polish to get rid of the cloudiness and scratches from the paper. I did a lot of research and it seemed like 2000 grit was plenty fine. I even emailed novus ahead of time and they said the #2 polish can get out 1200 grit and up so I thought the 2000 would be plenty fine. My tank is completely unusable at this point. I will say that I polished and buffed by hand with microfiber towels so maybe not having a machine is the problem but the novus directions indicate to do it by hand.

bfin3
01/07/2014, 12:33 AM
I just resanded my work with 3000 grit and only used #1 to clean up then applied #2 and allowed it to dry for over a hour this time. When I wiped up the tank looked clear as I had hoped. Not sure if using #3 the first time threw it off or if I didn't let it dry long enough. My apologies to novus it would seem their products do work.

Colorado1
01/07/2014, 01:00 AM
I have used a low speed high torque drill, (like for mortar), automotive buffing sponge and novus 3, then novus 2.
Before novus i used anything from 400 grit, but the final sanding for inside and out of the tanks was 1000 with handheld orbital. I used lots of water and kept the novus wet, washed the towels in between. My method i didnt like letting the compounds dry out- too hard to remove.

I have done a 110 show, a 25 nano, and working on three more tanks a 150 cylinder, 65 and 40. Its ALOT of work, but acrylic is so clear. I shot video of my whole process with results on the 110, but havent edited and posted yet. It was gouged with a dremel by previous owner and i got them out
Everything must stay wet like wet sanding. I like to put some soap in the water too. There is certainly a method and art to it

bfin3
01/08/2014, 08:28 PM
I got better results with#2 drying for 45 minutes. I would imagine#3 would be very difficult to get off after that long though

Da Maui life
01/09/2014, 12:22 AM
Just did it using 600 grit for actual gouges then 1000 and 2000 everywhere to get rid of all the little scratches. followed up with the novus polishes as directed and it is barely better than it was after sanding, I got the gouges but I need a better polish to get rid of the cloudiness and scratches from the paper. I did a lot of research and it seemed like 2000 grit was plenty fine. I even emailed novus ahead of time and they said the #2 polish can get out 1200 grit and up so I thought the 2000 would be plenty fine. My tank is completely unusable at this point. I will say that I polished and buffed by hand with microfiber towels so maybe not having a machine is the problem but the novus directions indicate to do it by hand.

2000 in most cases is plenty, your technique is way off.

jdamon
01/12/2014, 10:50 PM
2000 in most cases is plenty, your technique is way off.

Da Maui Life,

Can you please give some tips on proper technique? I am having a hard time with the novus polishes after sanding with 2000 grit. I can still see tiny scratches from the sand paper after buffing with both novus 3 and 2 for 10 mins each one... I am using foam pads and my cordless drill. How much pressure (if any) should I be applying? And how long should I be polishing with each compound? And what is the best way to remove the compound after each step? Seems that a previous poster had better results if he let the novus 2 dry for 45 mins before removing? Thanks in advance for your help!

ptreef
01/13/2014, 12:10 PM
jdamon....did you try to add water yet to the tank.

Often the tanks will still have super tiny swirls/scratches etc....that disappear once tank is filled.

jdamon
01/13/2014, 07:52 PM
I wet the surface, there are still scratches from the 2000 grit... All the videos and pictures I have seen the finished surface is scratch free. I am going to go polish it with the novus 3 and 2 again now for a while and see what happens.

jdamon
01/13/2014, 10:19 PM
Ok, I think I got a better handle on the polishing...

1. The palm sander with 2000 grit makes a ton of squiggly line type scratches that are difficult to remove, hand sanding seems to be the way to go

2. I applied a lot more pressure when buffing with the drill/ buff wheel and #3 compound

3. It takes so much more time than anticipated, almost not worth it, we are talking hours for just the end panel so far, 24" x 24"

Ugh... time lapse videos make everything look so easy!

Da Maui life
01/13/2014, 10:42 PM
Da Maui Life,

Can you please give some tips on proper technique? I am having a hard time with the novus polishes after sanding with 2000 grit. I can still see tiny scratches from the sand paper after buffing with both novus 3 and 2 for 10 mins each one... I am using foam pads and my cordless drill. How much pressure (if any) should I be applying? And how long should I be polishing with each compound? And what is the best way to remove the compound after each step? Seems that a previous poster had better results if he let the novus 2 dry for 45 mins before removing? Thanks in advance for your help!

Sorry I can’t really help you with Nova products, I don’t use them. IMO they don’t cut the muster.

bfin3
01/20/2014, 01:22 AM
Use only #2. #3 is for 600 grit scratches #2 is for 1200 or finer the#3 is probably what is throwing you off.

salmon alley
01/20/2014, 07:06 PM
I recently removed some minor scratches from sand and typical micro swirl marks from normal cleaning on the out side of my acrylic tank. All the products used was from Meguiars, 3M and recommended by ‘Floyd’ One of the acrylic gurus on RC the job turned out flawless. As for sanding I used the pre-cut 3M assorted pack, wet or dry sandpapers with Meguiars E 7200 backing pad.

IMO you have more control (removal of acrylic) wet sanding scratches by hand then with any orbital sanders as your not dealing with deep scratches or gouges, most of the time. For my needs, medium-light scratches I started out with 800 stepped up 1000, 1500, 2000 feathering out as you go then polished with M105 Ultra-Cut Compound and cut pad, once sanding haze is removed finish off with M9 Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover and polishing pad, you‘ll need a 3”stitch wheel for the inside corners, bottom/top corners.
Micro swirl marks on the outside was simply polished with compounds, no sanding. Clean the Meguiars pads with an old tooth brush in-between applications of compound (spin buffer and apply bristle across pad) and when your finished. That way they will last and can be reused down the road. It cost me about hundred buck for the products but I ended up with a professional looking job, like new out of the box. No haze, swirl marks or blims worth every dollar.
I also maintain the outside of the tank with Brillianize and a micro fiber cloth. Gently tack with damp(water) micro fiber cloth to remove dust, ext. let dry then apply Brillianize. Changing the way I now clean and maintain my tank has made a world of difference in the optical quality of the acrylic.

Woodstock D2509 Buffing Wheel, Soft Muslin 3-Inch by 40 Ply by 1/4-Inch Hole (The stitch wheel is for the inside corners)

3M(TM) Wetordry(TM) Sandpaper, 03006, 3-2/3 in x 9 in, Assorted, 5 sheets per pack
3M 03018 Imperial Wetordry 3-2/3" x 9" P400 Grit Automotive Sandpaper, (Pack of 5)

Great info, thanks.
What type of buffer are you using? There are quite a few 7" rotary buffers available on Amazon. Any recommendations?

Soolaimon
01/20/2014, 08:34 PM
I just got done refinishing a 60g hex back acrylic tank. I used 1000 grit, then 2000 and then PlastX headlight restoration polish.

After the 1000 and 2000 sandings I thought omg I made it worse. But the polish stage did take those out.

I used a round foam drill bit gadget that I bought at the auto store to buff the PlastX. The directions stated to wipe before it was dry but after going over the whole tank once it seemed cloudy. I went over it with PlastX again but this time I kept the drill with the buffer bit on a lot longer and kept buffing until I couldn't see the PlastX. After this I wiped off the dry residue and it looked fantastic.

The main points I learned was to buff, buff and buff some more. Also, work in sections. I was doing about a 12"x12" area at a time. I did both the inside and outside of the tank.

It's a lot of work and elbow grease even with power tools. Good luck!

dupree
01/29/2014, 07:58 AM
Hello. Da Maui Life... I saw ur post with buffing your acrylic tank
Can you please tell me what you used because I'm refinishing my tank as well and you did a super job.
What equipment and compounds used.
Please help.
Thank you.

Da Maui life
02/26/2014, 12:17 PM
Hello. Da Maui Life... I saw ur post with buffing your acrylic tank
Can you please tell me what you used because I'm refinishing my tank as well and you did a super job.
What equipment and compounds used.
Please help.
Thank you.

I know this this thread is a bit old, but I’ve been asked a few times about what polisher I used. So a little up-date. For the out side I used my Dewalt dwp849 7 Inch 9Inch Variable Speed Polisher and for the inside I used my Flex 6” variable speed it’s much more compact then the Dewalt.

I use both of these polishers just about everyday and they are not cheap especially Flex but you can buy a low cost variable speed polisher, I would recommend a compact 6” and use the Meguiar's 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Cutting Pad and Meguiar's 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Polishing, your need one Meguiar's Self-Centering Rotary 5" Backing Plate for 6.5" Pads
The compounds used are in the above post.

Saundeag
03/03/2014, 08:33 AM
I know this thread is more for DIY but I am in process of moving and setting up a new tank and do not have time. I am purchasing a used 300 gallon and was wondering if anyone in the Cincinnati, OH area polished tanks. Thanks for any info that you may have.

jcac812
11/24/2014, 09:31 PM
Nevermind. Saw the post above

btucker7587
11/24/2014, 11:11 PM
Use this exclusively for my acrylic polishing.
http://www.novuspolish.com/

I use a random sander and a drill head buffing pad.

Sand affected surface with 400grain sand paper, then 800, then 1000, then 2000. Apply polish as prescribed (3, 2, 1 respectively) and polish with buffing pad.

kenneth wolfe
11/26/2014, 02:45 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f24/wolfesperformancecoatings/Mobile%20Uploads/1409697059396_zpsb088b4a1.jpg tools of the trade

kenneth wolfe
11/26/2014, 02:48 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f24/wolfesperformancecoatings/Mobile%20Uploads/1409694546664_zps6bb7387a.jpg this tank is bad this is a quick sand and buff to see what I am up against ..

kenneth wolfe
11/26/2014, 02:49 AM
notice the ac?? this is going to be a lot of work ..http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f24/wolfesperformancecoatings/Mobile%20Uploads/1409691553071_zpsb5deff4f.jpg

jcac812
12/22/2014, 10:17 AM
Hey guys I bought a 10ft acrylic tank off craigslist that has it's fair share of scratches. This is a long post to tell you what I've tried but my questions are at the bottom.

Here's what I started out buying:
• Novus 1. 2. 3.
• Sandpaper 800 grit, 1200 grit, 2000 grit.
• Mothers Polish Ball
• Mothers Power Cone
• Mothers Polish Ball Mini
• Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Plus Kit.

I have power drill that goes up to 1200 RPMs.
A palm sander as well.

1. I tried to stay vertical and horizontal with a palm sander. Kept it wet and wiped in-between each grit.
2. Applied Novus 3. Used Headlight Restoration attachment on power drill.
3. Used Novus 1 to clean. Applied Novus 2 and Used Mothers Polish Ball on Power drill

Results were subpar. I felt like the power drill wasn't going that fast with the attachments. So I bought a Pneumatic "dremel" tool for $30 at Lowes. It was a better but I had troubles controlling the speed. That's what lead me to this site. I went and bought everything Da Maui Life listed.

Woodstock D2509 Buffing Wheel, Soft Muslin 3-Inch by 40 Ply by 1/4-Inch Hole (The stitch wheel is for the inside corners) Had one of these I bought at Home Depot.

Meguiar's Hi-Tech Sanding Backing Pad (Did not buy this)

The buffing wheel that I bought has a screw that goes through the top so it was really hard to get in the corners with a power drill with hitting the acrylic on the other panel.

The results are a lot better but I'm still seeing marks. I wouldn't say it's even scratches anymore more of a haze in some spots, maybe some unevenness.

I went over this process 3 times and still not the way I want it. Any tips would be appreciated. I have yet to do the front of this 10 foot tank. I've only done the sides of it.

Here is the latest process. I sprayed with water and wiped with different microfiber cloth between every step.

1. spot sand by hand with 320 grit.
2. spot sand by hand with 400 grit. Bigger spot.
Step one and step 2 I did not pay attention to what direction I was going. I didn't go in a circular motion but went back and forth and diagonal until heavy scratches were removed.
3. Palm sander the whole section with 600 grit. (side is 24"x18")
4. Palm sander the whole section with 1200 grit.
5. Palm sander the whole section with 2000 grit.
6. Apply Meguiar's M105 Mirror Glaze Ultra-Cut Compound and use Meguiar's 8-Inch Soft Buff Foam Cutting Pad (Red Pad).
7. Use power drill and tried everything from mothers mini power ball to Mothers Power Cone to Soft Muslin 3-Inch with screw on top so couldn't get too close. (borrowed my dad's electric drill that goes up to 2000 rpm)
8. Apply Meguiar's M9 Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover and use Meguiar's 8-Inch Soft Buff Foam Polishing Pad.
9. Same as #7 but used a different attachments so it didn't have the cut compound on it.

I also bought Dico 50-4 Facer Buff, Kit 4-Piece off of amazon but they don't get the corners that well either.

I guess I'm just looking for help on technique or a better process

When you put Meguiar's M105 Mirror Glaze Ultra-Cut Compound or Meguiar's M9 Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover on do you put a lot of it on or just enough to cover? Do you buffer it right away or do you let it dry?

How do you get the corners to look the same? Mine look hazy still.

Do I need to buy Meguiar's Hi-Tech Sanding Backing Pad? Anything I did by hand I would just press with one finger and go over the areas needed but usually used the palm sander.

I can attach pictures when I get home if that helps. Thanks in advance.

jcac812
12/22/2014, 10:19 AM
___

jcac812
12/22/2014, 10:20 AM

If you could look at my last post and give any advice I'd appreciate it. Thanks!