PDA

View Full Version : Dimmable LED for Nano Cube 28????

duganderson
11/02/2013, 07:38 AM
I've been researching dimmable LEDs for my mixed Nano Cube 28 (softies, LPS and SPS). It seems that there are a lot of new LEDs out there recently so I'm curious what folks feel are the best options. I'm open to keeping or removing the hood. I for sure want to spend $300 or less including the mounting.

Snowgrrl83
11/02/2013, 09:40 AM
I just got a r420r nano for my 20 gallon and love it! Dimmable lights with timer and paid 300 here in Canada. Strong enough for sps and lps.

duganderson
11/02/2013, 10:30 AM
I just got a r420r nano for my 20 gallon and love it! Dimmable lights with timer and paid 300 here in Canada. Strong enough for sps and lps.

I saw the r420r nano at a LFS and the mount seemed kinda flimsy and did not hold the light horizontally correctly. What is your experience with the mount?

Maybe they did not have it mounted tightly enough, but I think I've heard others complain about that too.

Thanks, Doug

Snowgrrl83
11/02/2013, 12:05 PM
Yes, the mount is the one thing I would complain about. The bar has little holes where you can chose the height of the light fixture. Those holes are where you put in thumb tabs... Well, 2 hole's threading were stripped and thus don't hold well

Crna
11/02/2013, 12:39 PM
I've been looking at the Ecoxotic Panorama Pro's for my BC29. Not sure about the configuration of your hood, but they fit perfectly in the hood of a biocube. When I priced them, two LED strips, a power source, and their LED controller came to like $260 or $280. Seems like people are very happy with them.

duganderson
11/02/2013, 01:41 PM
Yes, the mount is the one thing I would complain about. The bar has little holes where you can chose the height of the light fixture. Those holes are where you put in thumb tabs... Well, 2 hole's threading were stripped and thus don't hold well

Are there easy fixes for the mount problems that look good and make it more durable.

Snowgrrl83
11/02/2013, 02:13 PM
I haven't looked into it but even though the holes on the mount were stripped, it still holds well enough to be secure therefore I'm not looking to mod anything.

ElmoC
11/03/2013, 06:46 AM
I got the stevesleds.com retrofit kit for my BC29. After some minor issues with the cooling fan and great tech support, it has been working great and I love it.

duganderson
11/03/2013, 09:03 AM
I got the stevesleds.com retrofit kit for my BC29. After some minor issues with the cooling fan and great tech support, it has been working great and I love it.

Are these dimmable? I did not think they were.

ElmoC
11/03/2013, 10:37 AM
Are these dimmable? I did not think they were.

The drivers you can get from them are dimmable. They don't have a non-dimmable driver that I know of. I have been using the Typhon controller with mine but order the interface so I can control them from my Apex.

Dctrojan
11/03/2013, 10:42 AM
if you want a less expensive option search 144w reef leds on ebay. I use 2 of these fixtures on a 55gallon.its been on mine for 10 weeks now and I have lps and sps growth.

Good_GReef
11/03/2013, 04:42 PM
I bought a chinese dimmable 120 watt on e-shmay a few months ago, it's completely silent, cool to the touch and everything is thriving and growing - also, my algae has abated. With only blues and whites and the blues running more, the algae isn't liking it. Also, less power consumption and no heat added to the water. Mine sits right on the 30 cube tank on my glass tops.

Craigdillman
11/03/2013, 07:55 PM
Have you looked into the Rapid Led retro fit kit for your tank They are wicked lights and excellent customer service