PDA

View Full Version : Cycling nano questions

Amatuer21
11/02/2013, 04:19 PM
Need a little advice on what to use/do when i start to cycle my nano. I have purchased chemipure elite and purigen for my media basket. I bought them because i have seen alot of good talk about running the two together. Although while cycling my tank is it necessary to use them both? What else can i use or do i need anything at all? I have also read that people use filter floss, not really sure what that is or what it is used for. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Batfish162
11/02/2013, 04:31 PM
I would use both right from the start.

brandon429
11/02/2013, 04:53 PM
Buy cured live rock and wet pack sand, no cycle. Good option to keep in mind, all my tanks are done that way

Amatuer21
11/02/2013, 05:14 PM
Hmm i have 20lbs of live sand. Its a 20g tank

brandon429
11/02/2013, 10:00 PM
Everyone on the Internet reports ammonia from initial dieoff of live rock that has nothing on it to die off. And they are using api ammonia test kits to arrive at it. To avoid the condition, I never bought an ammonia test kit and made sure to only use cured live rock with coralline on it. Like every other piece of cured live rock :)

So to be safe, take six weeks of your rock sitting in clean water, cycling. Or add a shrimp to rot and recover the lost bacteria that instantly died off when you moved rocks from one tank to another.

The strange thing here in my town is the liverock is magic
For twelve years so far,
You take it home, it's all purple and aged, you put it in your tank, and nothing bad happens it's just ready. This level of sarcasm is only because I'm spoiled by having access to the most unique live rock compared to all other pics on the Internet that look exactly like it but are less fortunate
:)

NVTE
11/02/2013, 10:14 PM
Need a little advice on what to use/do when i start to cycle my nano. I have purchased chemipure elite and purigen for my media basket. I bought them because i have seen alot of good talk about running the two together. Although while cycling my tank is it necessary to use them both? What else can i use or do i need anything at all? I have also read that people use filter floss, not really sure what that is or what it is used for. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

You can use from the start to take out the bad that releasing out from rock, dead creature from rock. Filter floss is use to trap big particles in the water, which should wash regularly.

Maxxumless
11/03/2013, 01:01 AM

There are many ways to cycle a tank and many takes on which is the best. The only 'real' way is to have decay of some type in the tank and a subsequent increase in different kinds of bacteria. The bigger biological load the bigger the bacteria growth. I recently tried out BIO-Spira and was really impressed. My whole cycle lasted about 4 days with only a minor spike in ammonia and nitrites.

As far as using ChemiPure and/or Purigen (I do use both btw) is up to you. If you do have a big cycle media will be exhausted more quickly and in the end it may even hurt your cycling process do to your smaller water volume. You want your rock and sand to host the blunt of the bacteria, not your filter media. Personally, I wouldn't bother until the first month is done or you decide to use something like BIO-Spira. I would use mechanical filtration to help keep your tank water nice looking, but replace it every few days.