PDA

View Full Version : Mijfwb23 120 Build

mijfwb23
11/02/2013, 06:31 PM
Decided to start a 120 gal build. I'm using a glass tank 18" X 26" X 60".
It wasn't drilled so I drilled two drain holes and one return in the back.
I ordered a overflow that ended up being too small for what I needed so I bought some plexi and built a custom one to my size.
I built the sump/refug out of a 40 gal breeder.
Stand is made by me for the tank, still need to build doors and trim around tank.

Let me know what you guys think so far as this is a work in progress and I appreciate all the feedback good or bad.

I'll post more pics as this thing progresses

mijfwb23
11/02/2013, 08:06 PM
Added a few more pics of the over flow, stand build, and also some of my 75 gal tank.

mijfwb23
11/02/2013, 08:10 PM
More pics

mijfwb23
11/02/2013, 08:16 PM
The 75 has a slight cyno issues that started when I started using GFO. Never had it when I was using biopellets. Im working it out now. A few of the white rocks in the 75 are there just to get seeded for the new tank. I had them in a filtered salt water tub for about 2 months to make sure they were clear and then moved them to the 75 for seeding. The cyno started way before I added them.

mijfwb23
11/17/2013, 02:45 PM
Update on build.

I added the water and all the sand and rocks for the most part, few more rocks still to add. Plumbing is done and the tank is flowing. Sump is working great, still need to add sand and rocks to the Refugium. Runs very quiet for the amount of water flowing. Wiring is all loose till I figure out final placement of battery backup and all other power supplies, so don't mind the rats nest as that will be corrected.

New additions:
2x MP40W ES pumps
1x battery backup (not installed yet)
1x GFO filter (not installed yet)

Letting the salinity stabilize and then I will add the seed rocks

Light is temp installed so I can see in the tank (HOOD INW)

I know no one has responded yet but I would really like to hear any suggestions or comments.

Duvallj
11/17/2013, 04:36 PM
Looks like things are progressing well.

Any specific plans with this tank?

mijfwb23
11/17/2013, 05:23 PM
Looks like things are progressing well.

Any specific plans with this tank?

I'm looking at doing a mixed reef tank mainly focusing on corals with a few fish.
I would like to get into SPS but currently have only done soft corals.

My lighting is a 48" reef breeders proton led with 90deg lenses. The same lighting I have on my 75gal.

Octobot
11/17/2013, 05:46 PM
What problems, if any, have you run into during this build? And is there anything on your mind that you are still unsure about?

What SPS do you have in mind?

mijfwb23
11/17/2013, 06:00 PM
What problems, if any, have you run into during this build? And is there anything on your mind that you are still unsure about?

What SPS do you have in mind?

Thanks for the response.
Right now I think I should have gone with the mag drive 9.5 instead of the 12 as I think that pump is too strong. I have excess flow going in to my refugium but still not sure if its too much for that as its still new.

As for SPS I am still researching that. I am looking for easier corals that a noob like me can learn on and then slowly learn from. Do you have any suggestions?
I have time to research as I don't want to jump into SPS without a properly set up system.

System specs:
glass tank 18" X 26" X 60"
40 gal breeder diy sump
aquamaxx cone S CO2 skimmer
Mag Drive 12 return pump
Ehiem 300 watt heater
Custom diy overflow
2x MP40W ES pumps
1x battery backup (not installed yet)
1x GFO filter (not installed yet)
48" reef breeders proton led with 90deg lenses
130lbs Dry/Live Rock