PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my new red sea star!

hollyk
11/03/2013, 11:18 AM
Hi all,

So, I found these really cute little sea stars yesterday at my LFS. I made the horrible mistake of listening to the employees' advice on caring for a new "red starfish". I'd been wanting to add a sea star to my aquarium, and these little guys were so cute and tiny! I asked some questions about them, and I was told that they stay very small (less than 2 inches), don't have any lighting requirements, eat an algae pellet if there's not enough algae in the tank, and in general are super easy to care for. I know, I made a BIG mistake by listening to them rather than doing some more research. I thought that they had given me the basics, and I would do more research immediately upon arriving home. :headwally:

Which, of course, I did. I learned that what I have, that was labelled a "red starfish" looks probably like a red fromia- it's bright red with tiny black dots. What I'm reading says that it gets much bigger than 2 inches- probably closer to 5 or 6. I was told that my 14 gallon tank would be fine. The tank will be upgraded to a larger size in January, at least. But that doesn't do much for the algae film they're apparently supposed to have. I'm so confused. I'm just glad the thing is still alive. Does anyone have any advice or good resources on these little stars? I want to make sure it'll be okay. I feel horrible. :sad1:

hollyk
11/03/2013, 11:21 AM
Here's a photo of the little guy. I set him on the live rock when I finally released him after acclimating him. He has moved slightly, although he's still on the same rock. So at least he's alive. He's a brighter red in real life. Any help/advice/resources would be greatly appreciated!

hollyk
11/03/2013, 11:42 AM
I'm panicking. Should I try to return it?? I'm afraid switching it back to a different tank will make things worse.

Monkeyfish
11/05/2013, 01:38 PM
I'd return it. Most of these stars commonly sold in LFS only eat (algae) film that grows on rocks and the glass. You need a large, mature tank to sustain them.

Whiterabbitrage
11/05/2013, 02:48 PM
Fromia don't eat algae. They eat bacterial film. They grow very very slowly.
I'd say he'd be ok in your tank as long as he tank is old.

Calappidae
11/05/2013, 08:25 PM
Fromia only eat the film like said above, and certain sponges (unless thats only blue linkia with the sponges..). Like said, will be fine in a well established tank.. how long did you acclimate? Any exposure to air?

The film is invisible.. I have a 30 gallon that is a year established and the red fromia starfish starved soon after being added.

reefgoddess808
11/05/2013, 08:31 PM
You should be fine. If you are worried about it getting enough to eat you can supplement with nori or some other type of seaweed. They even make a seaweed blend gel food that you apply to the rock.

slapshot
11/05/2013, 08:59 PM
I've not had any long term success with Fromas. If you want an easy reef safe one pickup a bobby reef star. They live several years in a tank