PDA

View Full Version : Moorish Idol

waddwadd
11/03/2013, 01:40 PM
I was wondering if a 90 gallon tank would be good enough to house a moorish idol? I would love to take on one of these beauties and was curious on past success and tank sizes from people. And what would be the best place to get one? I notice bluezoo.com and liveaquaria.com have them! Thanks!!!

SDguy
11/03/2013, 01:44 PM
I'd say no, for two reasons. They get pretty big, and they require a huge amount of food. Most tanks aren't set up to deal with that much food.

MrTuskfish
11/03/2013, 02:05 PM
I was wondering if a 90 gallon tank would be good enough to house a moorish idol? I would love to take on one of these beauties and was curious on past success and tank sizes from people. And what would be the best place to get one? I notice bluezoo.com and liveaquaria.com have them! Thanks!!!

.....and LA suggests 125 gal as minimum tank size. I've kept these fish for many years and think any tank less than 8' long is too small. These are extremely active and hardy fish, once acclimated, and they really need this swimming space. Here's several years of conversation on this fish: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993712