PDA

View Full Version : Coral Hitchhiker

RDuhb
11/04/2013, 08:32 AM
Anyone know what type of snail this is? And is it bad for the tank? It came off my Monti frag after I dipped it. Thanks!

discocarp
11/04/2013, 08:34 AM
Stomatella varia. Excellent hitchhiker to have. They'll breed in tank if you don't have anything eating them.

RDuhb
11/04/2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks! I was just about to flush him. :)

discocarp
11/04/2013, 09:20 AM
Nooo :) Hopefully there's a second on there so they'll breed. If you have shrimp they're probably toast anyway though. If you have a refugium or something I'd pop him in there.

RDuhb
11/04/2013, 10:07 AM
Nooo :) Hopefully there's a second on there so they'll breed. If you have shrimp they're probably toast anyway though. If you have a refugium or something I'd pop him in there.

Unfortunately there is only one. Just my luck!! I bet if it was something bad I woulda had 50 of them. :)

leveldrummer
11/04/2013, 10:10 AM
check again at night, give it an hour or so after lights off and check it with a flashlight. thats when all mine come out.

mpfeiffer1
11/04/2013, 10:15 AM
Agree- One of my favorites. They do get about the size of a dime and can even loose their tails like a lizard. The first time that happened to me, I thought I had deshelled it and killed it. Then it moved again. Great algea eater.

discocarp
11/04/2013, 10:18 AM
Yep, the big ones drop their tails as a defense mechanism if you just grab them. Best to slide something under them that they'll crawl onto if you want to move them.

These and columbellid snails (which also breed in tank) are some of my all time favorites. I've only got the columbellids now, but I had the stomatellas for years and years.

RDuhb
11/04/2013, 10:25 AM
check again at night, give it an hour or so after lights off and check it with a flashlight. thats when all mine come out.

I picked it out of the bucket after I dipped my new coral. So unfortunately, there is only one. :(

discocarp
11/04/2013, 10:31 AM
They're broadcast spawners too, so you aren't going to get lucky with just one breeding. Still, enjoy him, and maybe another will pop in on another coral.

BAGGERZ13
11/04/2013, 10:58 AM
Yeah they are awesome. Control some nuisance algae for you. The first time I saw one I freaked out and almosy killed him but im glad I didnt.

accordsirh22
11/04/2013, 04:02 PM

this is just bogus, i have had stomatella snails for forever in 2 of my tanks, one tank has sexy shrimp and harlequin shrimp. the other has a cleaner and has had peppermints. not a single one of those 4 species of shrimp have even looked cross eyed at a stomatella as food.

the only thing i ever see bother them, is when i drop them into the display from the sump or the other tank, the chalk bass or bangaii cardinals will shoot over and eat them, then spit them right back out to go on their merry way

discocarp
11/04/2013, 04:02 PM
My peps pick them incessantly - to the point I have none left. My cleaners did the same. YMMV.