PDA

View Full Version : Bangai Cardinal baby found in sump!

Cichlid Guy
11/04/2013, 02:34 PM
Having kept cichlids for many years I'm familiar with the surprise appearance of fry in a community tank. Today I got my first reef community surprise with the appearance of a lone baby Bangai Cardinal in my sump. There may be more, but the 120 gallon reef tank has a lot of large live rock which is why I didn't know the male was carrying eggs. So I scooped the little guy out and will see how it does with the feeding I can provide without planning for this.

Anyway ... was a rather delightful surprise, so I thought it would be nice to share here. Others experience this kind of surprise? Suggestions on how I might be able to try raising a full future brood? One is nice but a hundred would be a lot of fun and help me offset the crazy costs of this hobby :-)

I'd like to keep the pair in the community tank, where there are 4 adults well established, and still harvest a future brood if I can.

baringcs
11/04/2013, 02:38 PM
Very cool. I'm raising 3 right now (started with 4 but one was very small). I'm using baby brine shrimp (live and frozen), Reef Chili (believe it or not) and TDO Chroma Boost A (fixing to move to the next larger size).. Yes I'm winging it and trying different things.

terrypercula
11/04/2013, 02:50 PM
Awesome!

Cichlid Guy
11/04/2013, 03:11 PM
Steve you mean 3 out of the brood are the survivors? Similar thing? Did the parents spawn in a community tank? I'm thinking if I watch the pair more closely now I may be able to catch him carrying eggs and time the incubation, try to pull him out when he's near the 21 day release?

baringcs
11/04/2013, 03:15 PM
Sorry... 4 were given to me by a friend. yes the parents are in a community tank with lots of live rock. These 4 came out of the tanks overflow. The one that died I don't believe was due to feed or lack of feeding but aggression. I noticed the two larger ones kind of picking at it in the morning when I was leaving for work... When I came home from with another breeder net (to separate them) in the afternoon it was dead.

baringcs
11/04/2013, 03:17 PM
Steve you mean 3 out of the brood are the survivors? Similar thing? Did the parents spawn in a community tank? I'm thinking if I watch the pair more closely now I may be able to catch him carrying eggs and time the incubation, try to pull him out when he's near the 21 day release?

That is what the owner of the pair I got my babies from has done in the past.

joeman1881
11/04/2013, 04:05 PM
Thats awesome. I haven't ever heard of this happening. Guess I always assumed they got sucked into the filter and ended up in the abyss. Pretty cool!

Cichlid Guy
11/04/2013, 04:26 PM
Steve thanks that's helpful. Wondering how old this little guy is ... any guesses from experience? Big by my standard, not really fry. Small fish. Over 1/4" tall and maybe 3/8" long. Wonder how long it survived in the community before getting sucked into the overflow. It's been eating whatever is growing in the tank or tiny pieces of the Roger's Reef food I've been feeding.

baringcs
11/04/2013, 07:58 PM
The two larger ones I have are about .75" head to tail, the smaller one is about .5". I'll ask Lee if he remembers about when they sprung forth from daddies mouth and report back.

Here is a pic of the larger 2. Kinda crappy.. picture taking is not my forte.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/baringcs/frag%20tank/bangaii2_zps4176aefe.png (http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/baringcs/media/frag%20tank/bangaii2_zps4176aefe.png.html)

ZoeyLovesZoas
11/04/2013, 09:45 PM
Omg! That little guy is so cute! I'd never seen baby cardinals before.

Cichlid Guy
11/04/2013, 09:53 PM
They are cute as can be. First time I saw them I knew they belonged in one of my tanks. Now I learn they're among the easiest of marine fish to breed. Nice. Is that red macro algae you have them with? Pic is not bad, hard to get good close ups of small fish.

Rilelen
11/04/2013, 11:32 PM
That is SO cool - crazy that the little guy survived long enough on his own to grow so big. I've never been super into cardinals but your little guy might be changing my mind...

baringcs
11/04/2013, 11:51 PM
They are cute as can be. First time I saw them I knew they belonged in one of my tanks. Now I learn they're among the easiest of marine fish to breed. Nice. Is that red macro algae you have them with? Pic is not bad, hard to get good close ups of small fish.

Yes its dragons tongue mostly along with a couple of types of red gracilaria.

wonrib00
11/08/2013, 05:52 AM
I worked at a LFS a few years ago and had a customer bring in six babies that he was feeding Cyclopes. We kept five alive feeding Cyclopes and eventually mysis.

robs.mark
11/08/2013, 07:20 AM
Mmmmmm, incest!

Cichlid Guy
11/08/2013, 01:44 PM
Just realized I forgot to pick up brine shrimp eggs to hatch for 'Brad' as my son has named him. Still feeding the little specks of food from my Roger's Reef frozen mix, and he seems to like it. Will post again if this works out. Watching the parents carefully now. Can't believe I didn't see the male holding babies for 3 weeks!

baringcs
12/04/2013, 09:58 PM
So how is it going with your baby bangaii?

Mine are finally large enough to take out of the breeder nets and not have to worry about them taking a water ride down the overflow...

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/baringcs/frag%20tank/bangaii-120413_zps6c6c2a9d.png (http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/baringcs/media/frag%20tank/bangaii-120413_zps6c6c2a9d.png.html)

Spyderturbo007
12/05/2013, 10:32 AM
My male has had eggs twice, but unfortunately, I haven't gotten a change to see any of the babies. I want to raise them, but I wouldn't know what to do with the babies if I did. My LFS said they don't buy from hobbyists.

baringcs
12/05/2013, 10:57 AM
You have a local club? Really surprised they said they wouldn't buy... maybe ask them if they would do a store credit?