PDA

View Full Version : clowns are tough - or I'm just lucky

sneeyatch
11/05/2013, 06:55 AM
I have a pair of Sustainable Aquatics fancy Ocellaris in QT right now - the QT is in my garage and has been set-up since August with everything running smooth - no issues.

It appears my heater may have died on me, not sure, but considering the tank's temp is in the mid 60's, I'm pretty sure that's the case.

The clowns are swimming around like nothing's wrong. I'm very shocked to see they're not dead. Looks like they'll be coming out of QT a little early, which is fine - they're going into their own dedicated nano anyway.

Tough little dudes - thought I would share.

guserto4
11/05/2013, 07:15 AM
I too have a pair of fancy Ocellaris in QT along with 6 chromis in my garage and the heater going out or temp not staying up while I finish renovations in the house is my biggest fear. Glad to hear some of em are tough little fellas!

sneeyatch
11/05/2013, 08:46 AM
I got them out - bright sides - they're still alive & they were very easy to catch.

Now I have a long acclimation time before they get into my office nano.

bues0022
11/06/2013, 11:38 AM
Low oxygen is MUCH harder on fish than low temps. I've transported some fish (short term) during winter in MN, and the water temp dipped into the 50's. I wouldn't recommend it, and I definitely was very nervous, but I just kept the bubbler going and slowly acclimated them again. They sure can be tough buggers.

spznm
11/06/2013, 01:21 PM
Wow, thats crazy! Never thought they would survive. My friend had his temp rise to 90 losing all of his hawaiian flame wrasse. It sucks. Thats why I love my APEX. Its a big investment but worth it.

bues0022
11/06/2013, 02:16 PM
Did the 90 also coincide with a power outage, or mass die off? Also remember that warmer water can hold less oxygen.

T-dub
11/07/2013, 03:51 PM
Over-temp seems to be way more deadly than lower temps - for fish anyway.

JustinGr
11/07/2013, 04:39 PM
Same thing here, my tank with my babies (6 mo old) was 69 degree on Friday. Seems my heater died... I put a heater in the tank and brought it up slowly over a few days. They were happy, eating, and playing... ODD....