PDA

View Full Version : Heard clicking late night.

fscmocsaj
11/05/2013, 07:40 AM
I heard some clicking last night around 2 am in my tank. Kind of freaked me out. I turned the flashlight app on in my phone to check the tank and the clicking stopped then it resumed 10minutes later... I have no clue what it is... :fun5:

JokerGirl
11/05/2013, 07:46 AM
Either a pistol shrimp or a mantis shrimp.... Pistol shrimp are completely harmless. Mantis shrimp are really interesting to watch. Would only need to supplement your snail population every so often.

fscmocsaj
11/05/2013, 07:47 AM
How do I check which one it is?

SweetTang
11/05/2013, 07:48 AM
Congratulations! You are the proud owner of a pistol shrimp!!! Possibly a small mantis, but more than likely a pistol shrimp. I have succesfully caught mine with an inverted water bottle with a piece of Shrimp inside.

cab395
11/05/2013, 07:48 AM
My pistol shrimp would disagree with you that he's harmless. He loves snails and occasionally tries to drag hermits into his lair of doom.

fscmocsaj
11/05/2013, 07:55 AM
Oh no... I have found some empty shells but I thought it might just be my hermit crabs eating my snails... Is there anyway to check if it is a pistol or mantis? or possibly the lockness monster?

JokerGirl
11/05/2013, 07:55 AM
Should supplement his diet more, then ;) :D

You can try the inverted bottle trap, or just keep a close eye out. If the lights were out, then I'd wager that it's more than likely a pistol shrimp. If it's a Mantis, you'll see if running around in there eventually. I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

fscmocsaj
11/05/2013, 11:19 AM
Wouldn't the mantis go after my fish aswell?

oscarinw
11/05/2013, 11:21 AM
Aqueon glass heater perhaps?

malcojo
11/05/2013, 11:30 AM
Mantis! The other night I literally watched mine run out of his cave snatch a hermit crab and run back in. I have been unsuccessful in catching him. He is pretty cool looking though, purple as opposed to the normal green I have had in the past.
I put my bottle trap in and he just peaks out and stares at it and me. Then I just end up catching my emerald crab or peppermint shrimp, but never the mantis.

JokerGirl
11/05/2013, 11:34 AM
Wouldn't the mantis go after my fish aswell?

Shouldn't. It's more typical to end up with the "smashing" type mantis, which more or less stick with hard shelled invertebrates like shrimp, snails, and crabs.

fscmocsaj
11/05/2013, 12:44 PM
Aqueon glass heater perhaps?

no heater.

fscmocsaj
11/05/2013, 12:44 PM
Man! I wonder what it is... is there any other way to find out?

arnoldrew
11/05/2013, 02:01 PM
I've never heard my pistol shrimp make any noise.

cab395
11/05/2013, 04:06 PM
Should supplement his diet more, then ;) :D

He is spot fed his own food once every day. I cannot justify giving him any more than that. They still will attack snails/hermits if they are close enough to their burrow. Unfortunately, the only reason they're usually close enough is because I am spot feeding the shrimp and goby pair and they're going towards the food.

I've never heard my pistol shrimp make any noise.

Mine loves to click. He's very outgoing and is always clicking at things. Usually he will do it when he is frustrated at something. Like if a snail is too big for him to move or something. I have heard they can be pretty skittish, but I guess I just got a ballsy one.

mussel and hate
11/05/2013, 10:23 PM
My trochus snails (nocturnal) rapidly rotate back and forth when in tight confines. It makes a snapping sound in the night as they strike the glass... It isn't necessarily a mantis or pistol shrimp.

fscmocsaj
11/06/2013, 07:41 AM
It kind of sounds like a scratching noise after listening to it last night

Jmcgreef
11/06/2013, 07:44 AM
I remember reading something a few years back where a guy used a flashlight at night undetected by putting a few layers of red saran wrap over the flashlight. Worth a shot right?

Irishdolphin
11/06/2013, 09:53 AM
I remember reading something a few years back where a guy used a flashlight at night undetected by putting a few layers of red saran wrap over the flashlight. Worth a shot right?

+1 on red light if you want to check what's going on after lights out

bru65
11/06/2013, 10:04 AM
Mantis! The other night I literally watched mine run out of his cave snatch a hermit crab and run back in. I have been unsuccessful in catching him. He is pretty cool looking though, purple as opposed to the normal green I have had in the past.
I put my bottle trap in and he just peaks out and stares at it and me. Then I just end up catching my emerald crab or peppermint shrimp, but never the mantis.

Don't feed the tank for a couple days, but have the bottle trap setup in front of its cave. I use Frozen PE Mysis as bait. Make sure the bait it located at the back of the bottle so the Mantis needs to go all the way inside. Keep your emerald and shrimp segregated until you catch that Mantis.

fscmocsaj
11/06/2013, 10:35 AM
I don't think its a mantis. It's more of a scratching sound, what could it be?

ivar85
11/06/2013, 11:08 AM
intresting

LJLKRL
11/06/2013, 12:43 PM
Shouldn't. It's more typical to end up with the "smashing" type mantis, which more or less stick with hard shelled invertebrates like shrimp, snails, and crabs.

Anyone? what? Beuller?

spznm
11/06/2013, 01:35 PM
My pistol clicks all the time so I know he is in there. I added a Yasha now I don't see them and they are in an 8 gallon jbj rimless tank! :(