PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank?

The sculpin
11/05/2013, 09:16 AM
Do keep your QT running all the time? If so do you do regular water changes even though it's empty? Do you use a different tank for treatment?

HumbleFish
11/05/2013, 09:26 AM
I have a 20L and 29 gal laying around that I use for QT. (I use 2-10 gal for TT.)

When I need to QT a fish; I setup one of these tanks using freshly mixed s/w, a heater and PVC "caves" for hiding places.

For circulation/biological filtration; I use either an Aquaclear 50 or 70 HOB powerfilter. I always have 1 or 2 sponge inserts from these powerfilters "stewing" down in my DT's sump. Bacteria transfers onto the sponge and as a result, I never have any ammonia worries in my QT. :)

The sculpin
11/05/2013, 09:34 AM
Do you think filter pads from a marine land HOB filter that have carbon in them will work for seeding?

HumbleFish
11/05/2013, 09:47 AM
Do you think filter pads from a marine land HOB filter that have carbon in them will work for seeding?

Honestly, no. If you Google "Aquaclear foam insert" you'll see how large & porous they are. Lots of room to house vast quantities of nitrifying bacteria. The Marineland pads just don't look like they'd hold a lot of bacteria IMO. Which could be a real problem if you have to medicate and some of the nitrifying bacteria dies off. With the Aquaclear sponges, you have a lot of wiggle room if that happens.

igot2gats
11/05/2013, 10:19 AM
Yes, I keep my QT running all the time. You never know when you'll need to QT at the drop of a hat.

No need to do water changes if there is nothing in there. Just top off.

The sculpin
11/05/2013, 10:49 AM
How long will it take for sponges to become effective?

MondoBongo
11/05/2013, 11:08 AM
Do keep your QT running all the time?

yes.

do you do regular water changes even though it's empty?

yes.

Do you use a different tank for treatment?

yes. i treat only if needed.

about two weeks seems to be the general rule.

The sculpin
11/05/2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks I will find sponges and a fish trap
Today

HumbleFish
11/05/2013, 06:15 PM

The longer the better; I let them stew for at least one month before I considered them effective for a moderate bio-load in QT.

houssic
11/05/2013, 06:53 PM
I found this sticky pretty helpful.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2195588&highlight=quarantine+tank

I am planning on having my emergency/once-in-a-blue-moon QT have a hang on back emperor with a biowheel and filter. I will have the filter and biowheel in my sump full time that I will change out every other month. So first month I replace biowheel second month I replace filter, and so on.
When I purchase I can move water out of DT into the QT and then run the biowheel and filter in the QT. Just make sure to throw out biowheel and filter if copper is used.