PDA

View Full Version : Dotcom livestock good/bad

shavoris
11/05/2013, 08:58 AM
How do you all feel about purchasing livestock and corals online? Also who's the premiere outfit when looking to buy! Who should I stay away from?

reeferstace
11/05/2013, 09:19 AM
Liveaquaria and their Diver's Den section is hands down is the best.

Also good are BlueZoo Aquatics and Pacific Island Aquatics.

shavoris
11/05/2013, 09:28 AM
Have you heard of saltwaterfish.com? I see they offer free shipping of purchases over $99

malcojo
11/09/2013, 02:43 AM
Divers den does have some great pieces

bguile
11/09/2013, 07:42 AM
Divers Den from Live Aquaria is my gold standard. You pay a premium but the livestock have already been quarantined and medicated if necessary. I also always get healthy livestock from Live Aquaria. It comes from a different facility and they don't get the treatment the stock from Divers Den does, but I always get healthy fish and corals.

CSOReaper
11/09/2013, 12:00 PM
Liveaquaria is absolutely the best, as said above. Just received a shipment this morning, everything is fantastic.

dunc101
11/09/2013, 02:29 PM
+1 to what people have said above.
I have ordered from both liveaquaria (not divers den) and vividaquariums online and have had nothing but great results from both of them. Very healthy fish and corals in both instances.

Reef Raf
11/09/2013, 09:55 PM
Hard to beat Jason Fox for those very special chalices as well. Bank roll permitting anyway : ) Some seriously awesome stuff. I like Woo's Aquatics and Austin Aqua Farms too. They were great to deal with.

sonoma2nv
11/21/2013, 03:08 PM
doesnt matter who u go threw unless u want big stuff the best bet is to pick it up at the hub and not let the corals sit in a truck for 8hrs

sonoma2nv
11/21/2013, 03:12 PM
i was waiting for a reefs2reefs reconmendation .i ordered tangs from them had ich my pb had half his upper jaw missing and was only fish in bag.stay away from them.lq is the place to go but like i said request to hold ur shipment at there hub less time to get more ammoia in the bags

RileysReef
11/21/2013, 03:20 PM
I prefer to see the stuff in person. I've heard good and bad experiences online. Rather be safe then sorry.

sonoma2nv
11/21/2013, 03:30 PM
i agree with ur u but onlne venders are 20-30 cheaper but its a crap shoot if good or bad

RileysReef
11/21/2013, 04:04 PM
i agree with ur u but onlne venders are 20-30 cheaper but its a crap shoot if good or bad

i'm a firm believer in paying a little more to get what you really want. if you order something online and it isn't what you expected it costs way more than the difference if you bought it from a LFS.

arnoldrew
11/21/2013, 04:08 PM

$20-30 cheaper, but you pay $35 shipping...

Tylermn93
11/21/2013, 09:20 PM
Like the above said I have had great experience with divers den and vivid aquariums, fish and corals were in great shape on arrival.

Devaji108
11/22/2013, 03:18 PM
yeas ago I shopped at saltwatrfish.com and had really good experiences with them
the last few years have only been L.A
I only shop online as the closed good LFS is 4.5hrd one way.

just thought I would chime in about SWfish.com for ya... I bet they get there stock from the same wholesalers as L.A but not positive about that.

Ngoodermuth
11/22/2013, 04:04 PM
My online browsing is usually split between NY Aquatics, Pacific Island Aquatics, LA/Diver's Den, and Blue Zoo Aquatics. All reputable vendors.

Most of my corals are purchased at swaps, although I have ordered from cherry corals and was pleased with the service.

Dmorty217
11/22/2013, 04:47 PM
Have you heard of saltwaterfish.com? I see they offer free shipping of purchases over $99

Like mentioned above LA and DD are the premier online resources. It boils down to if you are getting healthy, eating livestock. Saltwaterfish is a good source too, I used them a yr ago with great success. Reefanimals is where I got my eating and already prazipro Quoyi parrotfish who I would also recommend

SGT_York
11/27/2013, 06:01 AM
Had great success with all the above. Live Aquaria is a bit nicer as it gives general sizes for the purchase. Great fish from SWF.com but the inverts I've received were so tiny. Corals can be difficult as you don't get the coloration you want unless you go through divers den. From a health perspective the online orders were generally better than my LFS purchases. (I avoid purchasing in winter and hot summer)

NHATRANG
11/27/2013, 09:20 AM
Before you order online, google it and check out reviews, not from store's website

Lubeck
12/01/2013, 02:56 AM
Vivid aquarium is excellent for product and service. I also used saltwater fish .com a while back. I've heard great things about Harry's frags but haven't purchased from him yet. Reef cleaners is also great ime.

NeonFish
12/02/2013, 11:21 PM
I've purchased from both LA and SWF. Inverts and Corals survive shipment better than certain fish (chromis seem to be rather fragile). Urchins can bite through plastic bags (still survived). I always pickup at fedex or UPS, not gonna leave them on the truck that long, one time I was like the last stop.

One time I ordered from SWF and the Desjardini Tang looked like it was on its deathbed, i.e. emaciated. It should not have been shipped. I vowed not to order from them, but when I used my credit and to replace that one it was one of the best fishes I ever got.

+1 on paying attention to climate.

triggreef
12/03/2013, 12:02 AM
I've used LA, DD, R2g, & blue zoo. All good experiences. I've had a few claims from doa's but always healthy stock. Never an issue with any of them for honoring claims.

I prefer to see the stuff in person. I've heard good and bad experiences online. Rather be safe then sorry.

Never seen LFS with a 14 day guarantee. But they like to say "sorry" no guarantee on saltwater....

i'm a firm believer in paying a little more to get what you really want. if you order something online and it isn't what you expected it costs way more than the difference if you bought it from a LFS.
There is no crap shoot when these vendors offer a guarantee

Not if you order the minimum to get free shipping which can be just one fish in many cases.
R2g just had a $100 order to get free shipping special, blue zoo is free over $140 & you get a free algae benny over $200, free tang over $300 etc etc...

Blue zoo is my favorite aside from DD.

arnoldrew
12/04/2013, 07:57 AM
Not if you order the minimum to get free shipping which can be just one fish in many cases.
R2g just had a $100 order to get free shipping special, blue zoo is free over $140 & you get a free algae benny over $200, free tang over $300 etc etc...

Blue zoo is my favorite aside from DD.

Not all of us are big spenders. I wouldn't put $1-200 worth of fish in my tank all at once, and I certainly wouldn't spend that much on a single specimen. I guess it can work for some people, but I don't think I've ever spent more than $60 on fish in a single trip to the LFS. I wouldn't be comfortable putting more than that in my tank at once.

cjcolvin
12/18/2013, 10:59 PM
For us few unfortunate fellows that dont have any LFS with in a 3hr drive we are stuck with the online retailers. I have always had good luck with liveaquaria.com

kv2wr1
12/19/2013, 07:50 AM
I have used DD and LA. Their customer service is fantastic. I don't know anyone else that will guarantee their livestock either.

Nina51
12/19/2013, 11:32 AM
For us few unfortunate fellows that dont have any LFS with in a 3hr drive we are stuck with the online retailers. I have always had good luck with liveaquaria.com

this ^

plus, the lfs i go to (1 hour away and in a very inconvenience spot) tries to sell me stuff i don't want or need. always being followed around by somebody wanting me to spend more $$$.

i only buy from liveaquaria.

NewOne81
12/19/2013, 12:35 PM
At least half the fish in my tank came from LA. They have always provided great service for me. Ive recieved some very fragile fish and they showed up in great condition and very healthy. In the few events where i had problems they didnt hesitate in the least to fix it. They take customer service very seriously imo and very few and far between are the lfs that are going to give you that 14 day guarantee. I personally will continue getting my fish through them for the most important and most basic reason, my fish success/ loss ratio is the best out of everywhere ive made a purchase. Im sure the other online retailers people have previously mention are great too but this is my experience and everyone has to go with what works for them.

0coool
12/19/2013, 05:52 PM
I can vouch for Live Aquaria. I even had an order go bad when fedex messed up the delivery and killed almost the entire shipment. One call to LA and they had a replacement shipment on the way. All I had to mention was what passed away and they replaced it without charging a dime more than what I had already paid.

Cbsailor11
12/19/2013, 08:02 PM
All my livestock came Vivid Aquariums. Quality fish and corals from a great company.

12/19/2013, 08:39 PM
I got an absolutely adorable Hippo Tang from Blue Zoo....He hid in the corner for almost a week then became an eating machine....After one month, no ich, he is eating like a starved teen & is happily swimming all over the tank....His color is magnificent!!!! Looks like he has grown already!!!

Reeferhead
12/27/2013, 04:03 PM
I've been very happy with saltwaterfish.com as of late. I've been using them more and more as their captive-bred fish selection is far and away better than anyone else, LA included. They had a rough patch several years back and a lot of bad reviews to show for it. I'm not sure what changed but it seems they've really turned things around for the better.

Breadman03
12/27/2013, 04:19 PM
LiveAquaria.com is my favorite site. Of course, I'm within driving distance of Something Fishy (www.toofishy.com), so I just go browse in person. That Pet Place is good for a day trip.

eb2292
01/10/2014, 09:55 AM
I just gave TidalGardens.com a shot. I had a couple questions before ordering and they were very punctual and helpful with responses. Should be receiving about 10 pieces on tuesday, about half wysiwyg frags, and the other half regular frags.

usmc1812
02/04/2014, 09:48 PM
I have used Divers Den had positive and negative experiences with them. There guarantee you cannot beat, however your paying at least triple of the actual fish cost. But to have 14 days is really nice. For the fish they sent me once was a real skinny sohal tang. It died the next morning and I emailed them. Got a refund within days. I used Salt and Seahorses out of Jupiter Florida. Since I live in Florida made shipping easy. The owner had really good deals. Charged double the cost which I can live with. Ordered over $1000 in various orders and never had any issues. I have a friend near the west coast of Florida who bought a regal angel said it was eating Mysis. The regal came in super skinny and died very shortly. As for my order I got a Passer Angel and said the same thing oh he is eating. Open the bag and put him in my qt tank and his eyes are sunken in its head, he died the next day. Talked with him and he got me another Passer this one was pretty fa, but it was missing a pec fin. Saw a fish I wanted later on and asked him a price and he gave me this ridiculous amount. After being a loyal customer you think he would cut me a deal. His website is no longer up and running. I guess your shady operations caught up to you.

SGT_York
02/05/2014, 01:02 PM
Another fan of salt water fish.com, and LA particuarly LA's detailed descriptions of exactly what coral you are getting color and size. DD is great but pricey.

acsamples79
02/21/2014, 03:42 PM
I, as most, use LA and DD have had pretty good luck with them, a few issues during shipping but they gladly credited me no questions asked. I ordered 1 time from saltwaterfish .com had relatively good luck, most fish looked good and have done well in my tank, i had an issue with a lionfish i received from them, immediately took pics and emailed them and never received a response, i then tried again to no avail.. not sure what the problem was but the customer service didn't impress me.

mkoop
02/21/2014, 05:58 PM
I like to support local business when I can, but the reality of it is that the local business has a fraction of what is available and normally doesn't have what I'm looking for in stock. The alternative is driving a few hours and paying several toll fees, so online is usually a good option for me.

yasmar01
02/21/2014, 06:25 PM

+ 1

fishlee
03/02/2014, 01:39 AM
Usually good but shipping is always so expensive

EricBuzz
03/02/2014, 08:34 PM
I've been really happy with unique corals . Com
They called me after my order to setup shipping and I wound up talking to Paul for like a half hour. Very nice stuff. I had almost two weeks of snow and they kept my items until they could ship without issue.

tommyz44
03/03/2014, 01:43 PM
I just made my first buy through vividaquariums. I was really happy with them. Great quality, they take time to monitor your order before shipping. So if you order today, they wont ship for a few to make sure things look healthy. I also called in after placing my order as we had a last minute snow storm here in upstate NY pop up, they held it for a few days by my request. I know a few places wont hold. Other than that LA/DD always has good quality and REALLY good cust care. Something dies they get you credit, most stores in my area wont refund deaths.

reefgoddess808
03/04/2014, 08:33 PM
I ordered my initial stock from LA. Everyone was healthy and in great condition! I recently ordered a small (smallest I have ever seen) bristletooth two spot tang from DD. Hes awesome! Looks great, plump and eats everything. I have two LFS that I shop at and twice fish from local have caused problems. I guess it all depends on what you have available to you and what you are willing to spend for fish you want. I highly recommend LA and DD. I have ordered inverts from other places but trust these two for fish.

Dmorty217
03/05/2014, 11:54 AM
LA, Saltwaterfish.com and Reefanimals.com are all places I use and trust

Betta132
03/06/2014, 11:13 AM
Liveaquaria.com is a pretty good site. They usually have a nice selection and decent prices. To compensate for shipping, it's best to order several things at once.

nuxx
10/03/2014, 09:17 AM
Just bought some fish from Coral Imports: https://www.coralimports.com/

Mainly bought since they had a great price on Lineatus Wrasses.

Bought:
Large Lineatus Wrasse, Large Common Cleaner Wrasse and four female Lyretail Anthias.

Came packaged very well, all fish seemed healthy, even Cleaner is eating Mysis/brine and nori. They're in second day of TTM quarantine now.

ArmanS
10/03/2014, 10:53 AM
I've personally bought only from Pacific Island Aquatics, and Live Aquaria DD so far. I have a fish on order through Salty Aquaria and when they get it in that would be my 3rd different supplier that I've used.

The #1 most important thing to do when ordering fish online is EDUCATE YOURSELF!

What I mean by that is you need to learn these things about the company you are planning on purchasing your livestock from:

Reputation: Do a quick search on RC and Google and see what their customers have to say. All of the companies I have done business with have Fantastic reviews, and you can even find unboxing videos on youtube to see how they pack their livestock.

Guarantee: Check to see if it is Arrive Alive, 7 Day, or 14 day, nearly 99% of companies will offer 1 of the 3 above. Live Aquaria DD is the best IMO because it gives you 14 day on even hard to care for fish like Achilles Tangs, but make sure you read the companies policy and then look for any disclaimers on the WYSIWYG page of the fish you are looking at. For example, Pacific Island Aquatics usually does a 7 day Guarantee on their fish, but Achilles Tang's are arrive alive only.

Prepared: The last thing that is very important is you need to be prepared for the fish that you are getting, once they are shipped you should already know exactly how you are going to QT them and have everything ready to go, you want to make it as least stressful as possible.

HTH

Badbrad8500
10/04/2014, 08:48 PM
LiveAquaria is the best place for customer service and guarantee in my opinion.

claireputput
10/12/2014, 01:30 PM
I use online as my nearest lfs is at least an hour and a half away.
For me, the best I have found is Live Aquaria's Divers Den second place goes to Vivid Aquarium for fish.
There are some great places on line for coral but imo, it is like anything-there are certain coral better than others at the same place.
I really got frustrated with saltwaterfish.com and haven't used them again since a doa dwarf angel. They said they would credit but they didn't and I just gave up! :(

Ma_reefer
10/12/2014, 06:50 PM
I recently purchased from frag junky and I was very happy as far as I can tell everything is wysiwyg on their site and look as good in person as online