PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience with Gulf Live Rock?

RCKY
11/05/2013, 05:29 PM
Anyone have experiences to share about live rock purchased from Gulf Live Rock?
Is there a decent amount of life that survives shipment?
Any interesting life on the rock?
Thanks.

Apotack
11/05/2013, 06:12 PM
I ordered a small amount from them to reseed my tank after a week long power outage wiped out my tank. The rock was loaded with life, I still wish I had bought more. If you are looking for biodiversity you will not be disappointed.

Turningdoc
11/05/2013, 06:16 PM
They're great. I have ordered from them for 2 tanks. They sent more than ordered, included gorgonians, and have multiple types of abundant coralline.

RCKY
11/05/2013, 06:31 PM
Thanks
I will go ahead and order from them.
I had been concerned that little life would survive being shipping wet (not in water).

girlygears13
11/05/2013, 08:02 PM
Be wary of pests! Florida waters are filled with critters that are great in the ocean, but not in your tank! I would get a small amount of rock from them, quarantine it for a few months and then if it's problem free, use it to seed some dead rock. It colors up pretty fast, and that way you can avoid having to take all the rocks out to deal with pest anemones, mantis shrimps, etc. Plus this way, you won't have to fight for room when you start putting your own corals in!

3dees
11/06/2013, 11:07 AM
I have 140 lbs. in my newly set up 120 gal. fowlr. tank cycled in less than two weeks. so far only one small aiptasia that I took care of. be warned that their rock has a lot of macro algae (halimeda). I plucked most of it off and the rest is dying due to my low lighting. tank is in the diatome stage now.

dppitone
11/06/2013, 02:01 PM
That rock comes with a lot of life if it's a good supplier. I don't like the way that rock looks, I prefer Pacific rock. It's just a matter of preference. But even for folks like me, it's a good rock to a get a small amount of for importing new life and diversity.

wgraham
11/06/2013, 02:08 PM
Also make sure no mantis shrimp, when I got mines I had four mantis shrimp in my rock took me a while to catch them

RCKY
11/10/2013, 06:55 PM
I went ahead and ordered some rock from Gulf Life Rock. I am happy with it. It does have a lot of different life on it.
I have found some cup corals, a turkey wing clam, an acan, various macro algae, Halimeda, some sponges, small barnacles, and a hard coral that I can not identify.
I attached a picture of the acan, OK, I think it is an acan. I have never had one before.
The hard coral looks like half a golf ball; maybe a type of brain coral?
It kind of looks like cup corals tight together with no gaps.
I also attached a picture of it.
Any help identifying it would be appreciated.
Thanks