PDA

View Full Version : 150 Gallon Tank - Go Reef or FOWLR?

bcwalz
11/06/2013, 10:50 AM
I have a 150 gallon tank (72 X 27 x 18) currently empty (formerly freshwater) and am thinking of changing it into an in wall build. What I am not sure of is whether or not to only set it up as a FOWLR tank or to go reef. I would prefer to go reef but it is only 18 inches deep and I know that a deeper tank is preferred. What are peoples thoughts?

3dees
11/06/2013, 10:53 AM
I went fowlr because I want fish that are not reef safe. also less costly. reefs are less forgiving to mistakes.

ivar85
11/06/2013, 11:00 AM
people usually end up with one coral... then one more, and one more .... :D

DopeCantWin
11/06/2013, 11:03 AM
I have a 150 gallon tank (72 X 27 x 18) currently empty (formerly freshwater) and am thinking of changing it into an in wall build. What I am not sure of is whether or not to only set it up as a FOWLR tank or to go reef. I would prefer to go reef but it is only 18 inches deep and I know that a deeper tank is preferred. What are peoples thoughts?

It really all depends on you. People like deeper tanks for more space to create an aquascape. You're going to have the same problems if you have a FO. Corals aren't going to complain about those 6 inches. And no jokes about "complain about those 6 inches".

ptreef
11/06/2013, 12:12 PM
Reef all the way.....To me FOWLR are like a glorified FW tank. Not very attractive and a few big cool fish swiming around....

Reef have tons of diversity and colors and still have SWEET fish.

but comes down to what YOU want.

dppitone
11/06/2013, 01:53 PM
18" width is the norm for home reef tanks. That's why, within the standard aquarium RR size range, the conventional drilled tanks start at 75 gallon. All the tanks in the standard range have an 18" or 24" width from 75 up to 265 gallon. Within these sizes, whether to go with reef or fowlr is just a matter of preference.

That said, I have drilled 55 gallon tanks setup as reefs - which have a 12" width. Reefs can be done most any dimensions.