PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin Dragon eating Frozen food.

Sacohen
11/06/2013, 04:31 PM
Not sure where to ask this.

I know Mandarin Dragon should not be kept unless you have a large copepod population or unless they are eating frozen food.
If they are eating frozen food are they easy to keep?

I have a 55 gallon tank with 50-60lbs of LR and a standard sand bed.
No Refugium, a wet dry filter, Protein Skimmer, Denitrification Chamber, GFO and Carbon Reactors.

skene
11/06/2013, 06:44 PM
If they are trained to eat frozen food, then yes - it will be easier to keep, though you will have to keep up with the amount of food intake they require to flourish.

malady
11/06/2013, 06:59 PM
start them off with ova

I have yet to see a mandarin reject that food

Sacohen
11/07/2013, 05:35 AM
If they are trained to eat frozen food, then yes - it will be easier to keep, though you will have to keep up with the amount of food intake they require to flourish.

Do they eat a lot?

Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to have someone else ween them onto frozen food I just wanted to know if they were easy to keep after that,

LokiPbc
11/07/2013, 05:40 AM
Do they eat a lot?

Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to have someone else ween them onto frozen food I just wanted to know if they were easy to keep after that,

They eat very slow, if you have more aggressive fish around its very hard to make sure they get enough food. This could lead to water quality issues. When I had a mandarin I kept him in a 20 long. His only tankmate was a clown goby. I would put frozen mysis in there and he would be able to enjoy his meal peacefully. I added a clown that was getting bullied to death from another tank, during feedings the clown would swim circles around the mandarin eating all the food before the mandarin got a couple of bites

terrypercula
11/07/2013, 06:51 AM
I have mine on frozen. Some take and some don't but I've noticed captive breed are easier to teach to eat frozen. Once taught they generally still don't go after it as aggressively as most fish so you may have to target feed in its area so it isn't out competed for food. All this aside they will still need to actively hunt for pods, it's in their nature, so having a refugium up to culture pods still is a good idea. But to really answer your question yes other than keeping a mandarin well nurioused they are very easy to keep.

MondoBongo
11/07/2013, 08:55 AM
Do they eat a lot?

Thanks for the advice.

they don't eat a lot in one sitting, but rather eat a lot of small stuff over the course of the day. they are constantly picking and foraging among the rocks for stuff.

Sacohen
11/07/2013, 09:02 AM
Ok. Thanks for the info. Good to know this stuff.
I'm not around a lot and don't have time to feed multiple times a day.
A lot of the times I only have time to throw some flakes in once I get home from work.
I'm actually about to put in an automatic feeder because I don't even have time to throw some flakes in lately.

I like the fish, but I'm not sure I can give it what it needs at this time.
I need to consider it a little more.

LJLKRL
11/07/2013, 09:05 AM
Will they eat amphipods as well as copepods? I have some pretty big amphipods in my system and I see my flasher wrasse chase one every now and then but have not seen my mandarin eat one yet.
I read somewhere the amphipods might be too big for them to eat.

girlygears13
11/07/2013, 09:06 AM
Melev was using an olive jar as a way to feed his mandarin without it getting all it's food stolen by his tangs. He just squirted food inside, and it kept it in one place for his fish to eat in peace. If you have a smaller it tank, it should find the food, especially if you add some live pods to attract it.

Paul B
11/07/2013, 09:54 AM
I would say no. Mandarins should live about 10 years and I have never heard of any living for to many years on just frozen food. They will of course eat it, mine will eat anything, but their main diet should be tiny living animals like copepods which they were designed to eat avery ten or so seconds. They are not made to live on a little frozen food a few times a day as their digestive system can't handle much food at once and like a seahorse, they should eat many times a day. Frozen food is fine to suppliment but to keep one healthy for years, pods should be present.
Here are mine spawning.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/IMG_2312.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/IMG_2312.jpg.html)