PDA

View Full Version : Flame angel - Spine on lower gill

JonnyH
11/06/2013, 04:34 PM
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, however I wonder if i can seek some advice.

The spine on my flame angels gill (right side) has started to stick out and turn a white colour. The left side looks fine. He's behavior is normal; swimming around the live rock all day, feeding well etc...

he's diet has been algae grazing, mysis, brine in garlic, algae flakes and seaweed.

The tank is over 2 months old. 55 gallon with 20 ish gallon sump. 26 kilos of live rock. The live rock was curing for around a month before it went in my tank. My water parameters have been stable for a good 6 weeks now; 1.025 salinity, 79 degrees, 0 phosphates, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates and 0 ammonia. I do weekly 10% water changes and everything generally seems to be stable.

I have attached a photo of the flame. Any ideas? should i be worrying?

Please help.

skene
11/06/2013, 06:32 PM
I've seen this happen occasionally with other dwarf angel species as well. Usually nothing to worry about.

EllieSuz
11/06/2013, 06:39 PM
My Flame has the exact same thing, also only on one side. Sometimes it seems more visible than others and I have always wondered what it was. Sounds like it's fairly common. Let's not worry about it anymore.

JonnyH
11/07/2013, 01:16 AM
Thanks for your replies all.

I was just worried in case it was some form of infection, or if he had caught it on something. If will monitor him closely over the next few days and report back. He seems fine though :)