PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in some of my coral coloration.

cab395
11/06/2013, 07:41 PM
Hi everyone! Well tonight I bought a really nice colony of hammer coral and am falling in love with it. The guy I bought it from has the mother colony of my frogspawn. I noticed that his corals have a much deeper darker coloring than my frogspawn, which has become pretty pale when comparing it to my coral supplier's colonies.

My levels are pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.

SG: 1.025
pH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates 0
Calcium: 480
Magnesium: 1485
Alkalinity:8.3 (dKH)

I have a 4 bulb t5 fixture above my 38 gallon tank. The bulbs are two ATI blue+, one ATI coral+, and one ATI aqua blue special. I keep the two ATI blue+ on for 12 hours a day with the other two bulbs coming on for eight hours. Any hypotheses for why my frogspawn seems too light in color? Do you think my lights are on too much which is bleaching out my frogspawn? Should I lower the time my lights are on every day? Please help! :) Thank you! :)

96p993
11/06/2013, 08:51 PM
Your parameters look good (though I would get calcium around 400, mag 1300) but the first and easiest thing I would do is shorten your time on your lights. Some might argue but I think 12 hours is too long. I would do about 10 hours total with all 4 bulbs on for about 4-5 hours.

Do you have other coral? How do they look?
Where is the hammer in your tank? Flow?

cab395
11/06/2013, 09:22 PM
All other corals look fine and the flow is medium to low just like Euphyllia like. The torch looks fine, but it's only been in the tank for less than a day. The frogspawn looks bleached out. It seems like I should try lowering the amount of time my lights are on every day? What do you think?

96p993
11/06/2013, 09:32 PM
That is what I would do...Only do one thing at a time, that way you have some experience for future issues. Change too much and you simply dont know what worked

What kinds of light did the Frog come from?

cab395
11/06/2013, 10:06 PM
It came from the same fixture I have, just in a shallower tank. I'm wondering if he leaves his lights on a lot less time than I do.

cab395
11/06/2013, 10:10 PM
Okay, so I just set my timer for my blue lights to be on from 11:30am to 9:30pm, and my aqua blue special and coral+ come on at 2:30pm and shut off at 7:30pm. Does this seem okay? How long should I see restorative effects if this is the problem?

cab395
11/06/2013, 10:21 PM
Also it might be worth noting that the FS has only been in my tank for exactly one month. Is it possible it still hasn't adjusted to my lights and I should just leave the light schedule how it is for another month? Or should I be proactive and lower the amount of time the lights are on now? I'm so confused.

UTCReefer
11/06/2013, 10:27 PM
I would shorten your photoperiod.
I'm running 3x 400w halides and they alternate their on and off sequence. My center comes on first then the left then the right. The then turn off in the same sequence. Each is on for 8 hours and they come on 1 hour apart. In effect all three are on together for 4 hours total.
I did it this way because i felt like it and to relieve my chiller some.

myst
11/06/2013, 10:33 PM
Why don't you call your supplier and ask him for his lighting schedule?

cab395
11/07/2013, 09:41 AM
I just spoke to him and he said that he runs his lights for 11 hours a day. He said that it was possible that it wasn't getting enough light because it is 1/3 of the way up my tank. Does this sound correct? I have a 4 bulb t5 over my tank which is only 18 or 20 inches tall. And I've read that frogspawn like low lighting. Does it sound like it's not getting enough? Or too much? Again, I'm so confused. :(

cab395
11/07/2013, 01:04 PM
Bump

jedimaster1138
11/07/2013, 02:47 PM
I'd ditch the AquaBlueSpecial. The ABS is known to sorta wash things out and the Coral+ has in a lot of ways replaced it in people's T5 fixtures. The Coral+ is just a better bulb, according to a lot of folks. I like mine quite a bit.

Cruise the T5 combo thread and search for a combo something that's popular. You probably want something that's like B+, B+, Coral+, Purple+. If the tank is really quite shallow and acropora aren't your thing, you might even replace the Purple+ with a True Actinic. That tends to make the neon greens fluoresce.

Reducing your lighting period and/or raising your lights higher off the tank also sounds like a *very* good and immediate solution though. Remember you can't quickly or easily kill a coral with too little light, but you can certainly nuke one with too much. So backing off right away is probably wise.

cab395
11/07/2013, 04:23 PM
I'd ditch the AquaBlueSpecial. The ABS is known to sorta wash things out and the Coral+ has in a lot of ways replaced it in people's T5 fixtures. The Coral+ is just a better bulb, according to a lot of folks. I like mine quite a bit.

Cruise the T5 combo thread and search for a combo something that's popular. You probably want something that's like B+, B+, Coral+, Purple+. If the tank is really quite shallow and acropora aren't your thing, you might even replace the Purple+ with a True Actinic. That tends to make the neon greens fluoresce.

Reducing your lighting period and/or raising your lights higher off the tank also sounds like a *very* good and immediate solution though. Remember you can't quickly or easily kill a coral with too little light, but you can certainly nuke one with too much. So backing off right away is probably wise.

Thanks for the advice! I have a purple+ that I have yet to use so maybe I'll stick that in and see how it looks. Thanks for the suggestion. I have decreased the time my lights are on for throughout the day. When I get a chance I'll switch out the aquablue for a purple plus and check it out. Hopefully the lower light time helps with the color. Thanks again!

cab395
11/07/2013, 11:22 PM
Also, do you recommend having the bulbs in any specific order from front to back? Perhaps from front to back: Coral+, then purple+, then the two blue+'s?

Spar
11/08/2013, 06:49 AM
put the ones with the most Par (coral+ followed by blue+'s) in the area over the top of the corals. Purple+ is more for color supplement, so put that where it isn't right over the corals (back?).

jedimaster1138
11/11/2013, 01:16 AM
Also, do you recommend having the bulbs in any specific order from front to back? Perhaps from front to back: Coral+, then purple+, then the two blue+'s?

Probably just spread out the Blue+ so they aren't in adjacent reflectors. I don't think it matters too much unless you tank is laid out very specifically. How wide is it?

I'd probably do this, front to back...

Purple+
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+

assuming your rocks are favoring the back half of the width of your tank and the front sand bed stuff is for the more zoanthid / less light eating stuff. Just IMO...i'm still tweaking my tube layout myself.

alton
11/11/2013, 06:53 AM
Frogspawn likes Actinic which you did not list? I like Aqua Blue Special (for PAR) Coral +, Purple +, and Actinic. Frogspawn like a PAR reading of 250+, they are not a low light LPS. They will do okay and grow, but the color is the best with 250+ which makes metal halide the best light for them with low water flow.