PDA

View Full Version : Reef suppliments?

StingWray7
11/06/2013, 09:56 PM
I have never used supplements in my tank.
I have recently acquired a glove polyp and a hammer coral with 7 heads. These are my first corals and i don't want to loose them. I already lost a cleaner shrimp due to low iodine levels. So while researching supplements i found that there are dozens of different kinds of supplements, i was hoping to just get kents beginner pack with iodine, strontium, and calcium.
Do i need anything else? (Zooplex, micro vert, purple tech,chromaplex?)

Peter Eichler
11/06/2013, 10:02 PM
First of all, it's highly unlikely that you lost your cleaned to low iodine. Secondly, you don't need anything, nor would I suggest anything more than something to maintain calcium, alkalinity, and maybe magnesium. The rest is absolutely not needed and you can maintain a spectacular tank withoug any supplements other than those 3.

StingWray7
11/06/2013, 10:12 PM
Thank you, i am so glad to hear that. I was thinking i was going to have to go drop 50 bucks on coral food. And about the cleaner shrimp, do you know what it could if died from then? I had it for 2 months, its first molt it lost an antenna and its next molt another, and then another until one molt it lost them all, and then it got black spots on its body and died. My dealer said it was probably from low iodine levels, and being new to the trade i believed him.

UTCReefer
11/06/2013, 10:18 PM
First of all, it's highly unlikely that you lost your cleaned to low iodine. Secondly, you don't need anything, nor would I suggest anything more than something to maintain calcium, alkalinity, and maybe magnesium. The rest is absolutely not needed and you can maintain a spectacular tank withoug any supplements other than those 3.

Seriously!
Ive wasted more time and $$ on the next THING, that people swore made their corals pop, color up, and grow like weeds. Its all snake oil, just maintain your ALK, CA, Mg, and most importantly the salinity and feed your fish. Everything will thrive.