PDA

View Full Version : New Diamond Goby - Still hiding after 24 hours

Neokane
11/06/2013, 10:41 PM
So I purchased a Diamond Goby last night. I got him in the tank after the lights were out and all my other fish were "sleeping" I have not seen him since I put him in there. Is this normal behavior for them?

I don't see any sand stirred up either. Not sure where he may be hiding.
When I got him from the lfs, they had to pick up the rock in the tank to find him.

Anyone one else have this problem?

mkbtank
11/06/2013, 10:42 PM
Not out of the ordinary at all. Could be a few days, or even a week. Don't worry just yet.

lovetoclown
11/06/2013, 11:46 PM
Mine hid for several days. Slowly started to venture out to eat at feeding time. A week later and he was out sifting most of the time.

Drboomson
11/07/2013, 03:21 AM
He'll come out soon...first day i had mine only saw him til he dug his den then over the next week i would only see him a few min a day it seemed like and always within the area of his den...now he has a standard routine...wake up... open up front and back entrances to den... sift sand ALL day long all over tank...burry entrances to den...then rocket himself through the mounds of sand into his den to sleep lol...

billdogg
11/07/2013, 06:55 AM
If you don't have a good top on your tank - have you looked on the floor? They are notorious jumpers. It took me several tries and DIY mesh tops to keep one IN the tank. And a day or three before it is out and about is normal.

girlygears13
11/07/2013, 09:12 AM
Most new fish hide for a few days, but since he's a jumper, look EVERYWHERE on the floor. Lost a sixline wrasse within two days because I was lazy and didn't build a top!

Neokane
11/07/2013, 11:11 PM
Hmm... if he jumped.. the cat got an expensive snack.. :(

I will keep an eye out for him!

Livefishlover
11/08/2013, 12:00 AM
The best suggestion I can give you is to be patient and have faith. Please keep your eye out for your Diamond Goby hiding in your tank, and please keep us posted.

Irishdolphin
11/17/2013, 07:17 AM
So did he show up in the end?

RedDeadReef
11/17/2013, 08:06 AM
He's probably just hiding, I wouldn't worry too much unless he doesn't show up the next day. Are you rocks stable? They can dig under rocks and get crushed if they aren't.

Cputecch
05/09/2018, 06:10 PM
So I purchased a Diamond Goby last night. I got him in the tank after the lights were out and all my other fish were "sleeping" I have not seen him since I put him in there. Is this normal behavior for them?

I don't see any sand stirred up either. Not sure where he may be hiding.
When I got him from the lfs, they had to pick up the rock in the tank to find him.

Anyone one else have this problem?

Yea I have the same problem been 24 hours but Iím not going to worrie about it for a week or so. I am worried about some mold like stuff growing off old food deposits sitting on the sand?

Uncle99
05/10/2018, 06:01 PM
I have found that DBG only jump when they are frightened, or chased.
Mine had not left the bottom once in 30 months, no one to chase him.

Completely normal, probably digging in the back somewhere. Mine dug a home and each night he covers the entrance with sand, when the lights come on, door is opened.

Love this fish, keeps my sand real clean

Frost_Hydra
05/11/2018, 11:00 AM
My first SW fish was a Diamond Goby. When I first added him I was really nervous and scared as I didn't see him at all for over a month. Besides what seemed like a hole near some rock, there wasn't any evidence that it existed. I still made sure though to put some food in the water just in case. I came up with putting my phone next to the tank near what I thought was its hole and letting it record while I left the room.

Sure enough, 10 min after I left it slowly came out and began to do some digging. If I even came within 10 feet of it would immediately hide. Now around a year later, I can get within 6 or so inches without it getting spooked.

BaleKlocoon
05/11/2018, 11:07 AM
Sometimes I go 3 days without seeing mine and I've had him over a month. It worried me the first couple of times but now I don't worry about it. It's a shame I don't see him all the time, because he's my favorite fish to watch, but he seems perfectly happy when I do see him.