PDA

View Full Version : Algae issues still

Erik2514
11/06/2013, 11:32 PM
So ive been battling an ongoing algae issue. Tank has been running for 4 months. My parameters are ph 8.1 ammonia nitrates nitrite and phosphates between 0-.25 closer to zero. I've been running a sump with chaeto, a HOB filter with phosphate pads. My green film algae is slowly dieing off snails helping this... But GHA is still prominent as well as my cyano is springing back like no other! Any suggestions?

Reef Frog
11/06/2013, 11:38 PM
4 months?...it's still early. This is normal. Be patient, understand & manage nutrient import/export and things will work out. This is just how it is. Physical removal is what you want to do at this point.

Duvallj
11/07/2013, 03:12 AM
Pretty much what Reef Frog said.

Its pretty normal for many tanks to get a bunch of algae/dinos/cyano from the get go. At this point in the game you shouldn't have any ammonia/nitrite.

You probably don't have anything in the way of corals: You can reduce lights/ black out period to help kill the algae, then do water changes to get rid of the nutrients released.

Also what is your water source? Are you using rodi/ di water?

Erik2514
11/07/2013, 09:44 AM
Well I do have frogspawn and hammer coral which are doing amazing so I don't want to do a black out... I have reduced my light time to 4 hours a day... Tho and yes I use ro/di water I do 5 gallon changes in the 29 gallon aquarium

klwheat
11/07/2013, 09:46 AM
What are you using for flow in the tank. Often times, cyano is a product of inadequate flow or dead spots in flow.

Erik2514
11/07/2013, 10:42 AM
Well I have a HOB filter that provides flow as well as a zoo med rotating head power head I'm no sure exact flow but it has adjustable setting and it's on the highest one

Wetline
11/07/2013, 12:55 PM
If you are using frozen food you should thaw and rinse/filter it before feeding it to the tank. If all of that isn't the problem I will say that LaCl3 solved my algae problems but my tank had run for approximately 4 years before having an algae problem. When it came I could never defeat it so I started dosing LaCl3 a few days a week until it went away. It's not without its risks so read up before you decide what to do.

As others have mentioned flow is more important than you may realize.