PDA

View Full Version : Dosing Kalkwasser in ATO Questions

Mikelush78
11/07/2013, 10:11 AM
My Demands of my 180 gallon tank are creeping up on me it seems and My Alk keeps lowering on my so thinking of adding Kalkwasser to my ATO but want to make sure I do it right... (also have some questions.

I have a 3 gallon reservoir used for my ATO.
Its the Reservoir is automatically filled by a float valve so its always full.

My first question is how often do you put the kalkwasser in the reservoir?
- My thought - depends on amount evaporated? If I loose a gallon a day, then I would need to add a certain amount of kalwasser a day?

Would perfer not to have to add an every day maintenance to the tank... Once a week, No Problem, Once a Day hassle...

I also have no problem making a DIY doser if that is the best route...

I have been reading a lot of posts but they all lack certain info I am looking for to find the best path to take...

I have a 180 mixed reef with 40 gallon sump...

Thoughts?

ganjero
11/07/2013, 10:29 AM
For your setup (3g reservoir filling automatically with a float valve) I think you need a Kalk Reactor. You could use your 3g reservoir using the same principles of a kalk reactor. Add a stand (maybe made of egg crate) and put a mixing pump underneath and the dosing pump above, put a timer on the mixing pump to be turn once or twice a day.

You need to test alkalinity in your tank or conductivity in the output of the ATO to know when to change/add more kalkwasser. It could be every two weeks or every two months, depends on the evaporation and the mixing.

IME the preferred method is premixng a big batch of ATO water and let it settle (better than using a Kalk reactor). I use a 55g drum, I mixed the Kalk and let it settle so I only dose the limewater and the extra stuff settle in the bottom. You don't need to be mxing this again and once is used you just make a new batch with new kalk.

Mikelush78
11/07/2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks for that info, That is the way I am leaning toward now also. Seems like the easiest and cheapest way to do this. Question for you thought...

How do you test the "conductivity in the output of the ATO"? I get you simply test the Alk in the tank but that info would also be good to to have...

ganjero
11/07/2013, 11:05 AM
Conductivity Meter or Salinity Meter. You can add a small chamber that overflows into the sump, use a controller if you have one (like apex) or use a stand alone like pinpoint (salinity) and put the probe in that chamber.
I guess you could also measure it directly in your 3g reservoir.

Av8bluewater
11/07/2013, 11:42 AM
You need to get some proper dosing pumps going.
How are you putting the alk and calcium in?
If dosing slowly with pumps you will use less. It sounds like a lot of your alk may be precipitating out before it can even get used.

MidwesternTexan
11/07/2013, 11:48 AM
Dosing pumps? Mixing pumps? Controllers? Meters? Sensors? This is a way to do it, There are alternatives

What ever floats your boat

jda
11/07/2013, 11:49 AM
I don't have anything specific to add about your ATO, but I might suggest that you keep some Muratic Acid on hand to help lower the PH in case you ever have an emergency or accident.