PDA

View Full Version : Aragonite sand cloud

Snowgrrl83
11/07/2013, 12:37 PM
Hey! Its been a long time since I've set up a new tank.
I filled my tank with water yesterday evening and added the salt.
Then, i very briefly rinsed the new aragonite sand that I purchased (i didn't rinse it thoroughly, just one quick lazy rinse with RO water). I dumped the sand in my tank shortly after. Now, as expected, there is a big milky sand cloud in my tank and its still there now nearly 20 hours later.

I read somewhere that to help clear up the sand storm that i should add LR. True or false? I also sprinkled some "live sand" from my old tank (and still running) this morning.

Should i add the LR even though my water still looks like diluted skim milk?

Powerhead on or off?

K Daddy
11/07/2013, 12:42 PM
Powerheads on, Filters on (if no sump)

Wouldnt hurt In my Opinion to add your live rock...

Should clear up soon, you do need some flow to move stuff around and then it just seems to get clear and things settle down...

scubaprashant
11/07/2013, 12:54 PM
It'll take a few days but it'll settle on it's own. No need for concern. +1 on powerheads & filters.

mpeaden2
11/07/2013, 02:21 PM
Usually it will clear in a couple of days. Also, be don't confuse a bacteria bloom with sand dust. I had the same problem once, but mine didn't clear for a month.. Bacteria bloom! Just don't put the clarifier garbage in! Just needs time

Snowgrrl83
11/07/2013, 03:13 PM
Lol... The one thing that annoys me with this hobby - i hate waiting around. I put just 4 lbs of live rock in for now. Its an 18 gallon nano. I have another 4 lbs in my old 20 gallon to sustain the few corals and fish while i wait for to transfer them to my new 18 gallon (im shutting down the 20 gallon). I have about 15 lbs of LR cooking in my basement.... I hate waiting

thegrun
11/07/2013, 04:28 PM
There are clarifies available at your lfs that will help