PDA

View Full Version : Sponge or bacteria/fungus

LadyDave
11/08/2013, 02:26 PM
Hello!! This appeared on my dry rock about 2 days after I added live rock and about 5 days after I first added water and live sand along with various other bits of dry rock. At first it looked like clear/white slime but now it's gone a bit more opaque and there's a tiny bit of orange on it at the top.
Can anyone tell me what it is and if I need to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance.... This forum has been immensely useful to me as I have been researching about setting my tank up!!

CarlosPulga
11/08/2013, 03:11 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2232125

I found this, is it the same stuff? If so, just a bacteria growth.

LadyDave
11/08/2013, 04:26 PM
I don't think it's the same stuff.... That looks a bit furry, mine is more errrm, less furry!!

It's only on the one small rock at the mo so will be easy enough to take out if I need to, just need to know if I should or not.

"More, less furry" is not one of my finer descriptions. I should've said its smoother! (It's getting late and has been a long week!) at first it looked almost shiny but is gradually turning more 'frosted'

LadyDave
11/09/2013, 04:04 AM
Anyone got any other ideas? And if it is bacteria, do I get rid of it? Here's another pic too

UTCReefer
11/09/2013, 12:06 PM
Looks like a sponge. Pull the rock and let it sit out for a couple of hours. Long exposure to air will kill it.

cloak
11/09/2013, 05:47 PM
Anyone got any other ideas? And if it is bacteria, do I get rid of it? Here's another pic too

How does it feel to the touch? Somewhat slimy, or sort of firm?

Mrscribbled
11/09/2013, 05:52 PM
I'd say sponge, definitely not fungus.

LadyDave
11/10/2013, 04:35 AM
Thanks so much for your responses!!
I haven't touched it.... I'm kind of a wuss and a bit squeamish!!! I just found this post which looks like the same stuff so reckon it's a sponge.... Yay!! Not bad for a tank less than a week old?!???

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2179365

LadyDave
11/10/2013, 04:37 AM
Looks like a sponge. Pull the rock and let it sit out for a couple of hours. Long exposure to air will kill it.

Oh, so I need to get rid of it?? I thought sponges were a good thing??

billdogg
11/10/2013, 05:53 AM
If it is firm it is probably an encrusting sponge. That would be a good thing. Leave it be. If it is slimy, it may be some sort of bacterial growth and can -probably be removed using suction and a (old) toothbrush when you do your water change. You could also just leave it - it will almost certainly disappear on its own. That is the route I would take.

Why do people tend to be in such a big hurry to eradicate what they don't know?

JM.02

LadyDave
11/10/2013, 01:20 PM
Haha, thanks for specifying it should be an old toothbrush, Billdog! :)

I'm not keen on eradicating anything that I don't know.... This sponge (def think it Is sponge now!) is just one of many things in my tank that I'm unsure of! I can't find similar pics or descriptions of a few things but the thought that this might be some kind of fungus concerned me so I wanted to check it wasn't. It's been there for almost a week now and has shrunk a bit since it's clear, slimy looking stage but there's a little spikey bit on it that is exactly the same as a spiky bit on my purple sponge that is on my live rock so I'm going to leave it. It might disappear anyway!

Thanks so much for all your responses!