PDA

View Full Version : Feel like getting an anenome

Mark9
11/08/2013, 04:24 PM
The Petco near me has 1, they won't try to get it off the rock, so i'd get a sizable rock as well.
Not sure if i'm ready to try one.

bundybear1981
11/08/2013, 04:36 PM
A few things to consider first
-How old is your tank - mature tanks are best (12+ months)
-Are your parameters all stable?
-Do you trust the Petco/is the attached rock free from hitch hikers?
-Do you have sufficient lighting?
-Is the anemone bleached at all or is it healthy?

Good luck! :)

willyboy
11/08/2013, 05:11 PM
Also what anemone? Some are easier than others

Mark9
11/08/2013, 05:13 PM
A few things to consider first
-How old is your tank - mature tanks are best (12+ months)
-Are your parameters all stable?
-Do you trust the Petco/is the attached rock free from hitch hikers?
-Do you have sufficient lighting?
-Is the anemone bleached at all or is it healthy?

Good luck! :)

yeah, I'm nervous, but it's not bleached, it looks nice, my parameters are stable, I have 4 bulb t5's, I trust the Petco, but my tank is only 3 months old, so it's risky.
but, I could just yank it if it doesn't do well, it's only $30.

Mark9
11/08/2013, 05:14 PM
Also what anemone? Some are easier than others

good point, I didn't write down the name, and I forgot it.

Mark9
11/08/2013, 06:24 PM
tag says "mini carpet"
it's brown and red, lots of color, quite attractive.
maybe 4-5 inches round

Chevrefils
11/08/2013, 06:31 PM
I would wait. I waited 6 months until I added coral. Do you have a plan or direction for your tank? Purchases off a whim doesn't always go well.

Hawke1974
11/08/2013, 07:44 PM
If it's anything like the Petco here... Stay away... stay FAR away... There's a reason they call it Deathco ...

Our Petco Tanks here are covered front to back in Green & Brown algae, and they tried to tell me it was Beneficial .. Not to mention they treated a tank of Clowns With ICH treatment, and didn't remove the Inverts, and they all died... said they were Casualties of war...

Anyways... Unless I need a piece of equipment or something in a Hurry... I've switched my business to a LFS 30 miles away...

James77
11/08/2013, 08:26 PM
and I have seen LFS with far worse tanks than Petco could ever have. Amazing how they get blanketed as a horrible store when it is basically a hit or miss. I have 3 Petcos within 15 minutes of me, all have clean tanks and healthy livestock.

OP.....any anemone is a PITA unless in a dedicated tank. I have no experience with carpet anemones, but even "easy" nems like bubble tips have cause me tons of grief.

CarlosPulga
11/09/2013, 02:22 AM
I bought my anemone when my tank was 3 months, I didn't have any problems with it. Besides it being bleach, I thought it was a cool color... lol. I had it for 4 months now, it is eating and growing, still bleached though.

Boston21
11/09/2013, 02:37 AM
I just got a BTA a little over a week ago for my 20 G nano that is nearing 6 months old. It just got its first feeding tonight and took in a massive amount of ROD's food. My tip: read up on them. They are pretty delicate creatures and need special care, I am not even confident I can keep mine healthy, but it seem's to be doing great. The problem is when they die they can nuke your tank, or so I have been told from their poison leaching into the water column. Otherwise, they are wicked. I have been told that they grow decently fast too, have mine under a 120W LED 50/50.

brvheart
11/09/2013, 11:11 AM
There is a common textbook reply when it comes to anemones: "wait until your tank is a year old". Someone hears it, believes it must be true for some reason, then passes it along to the next person that asks the question. The reality is, there is not any magical transformation that happens after one year. The statement is sort of an assumption that it will take a year to hash out any problems that inevitably arise, create a routine that creates a consistently stable environment, and parameters that don't change. Basically, it's an assumption that it will take a year to have good husbandry skills and technique.

I think it's a weak statement that has good intention. Any statement encouraging good husbandry is a good thing. The problem is, it could take 3 months or it could take 3 years. I think the proper questions to be asking the OR are questions regarding consistency in parameters and additional details regarding the tank itself and maintenance / husbandry.

All that said, I say give it a shot if you like. Making sure your lighting and space is efficient are key. Personally, I don't think nems are as challenging as people seem to think..

And my quick thought on Petco, PLEASE avoid. As a very large company they make a huge negative hit on natural habitats. They have been documented to employ unhealthy chemical collection techniques, and unethical harvesters. Due to the collection technique, fish are often sick when you buy them, and may not have long to live. Couple this with consistently unknowledgable staff and poor care, they cause a lot of damage and death. Speak with your dollar and support quality LFS's

Mark9
11/10/2013, 07:24 PM
So, I listened and didn't get it.
My LFS (the one I like) even said to wait.

reefguy24
11/10/2013, 09:57 PM
There is a common textbook reply when it comes to anemones: "wait until your tank is a year old". Someone hears it, believes it must be true for some reason, then passes it along to the next person that asks the question. The reality is, there is not any magical transformation that happens after one year. The statement is sort of an assumption that it will take a year to hash out any problems that inevitably arise, create a routine that creates a consistently stable environment, and parameters that don't change. Basically, it's an assumption that it will take a year to have good husbandry skills and technique.

I think it's a weak statement that has good intention. Any statement encouraging good husbandry is a good thing. The problem is, it could take 3 months or it could take 3 years. I think the proper questions to be asking the OR are questions regarding consistency in parameters and additional details regarding the tank itself and maintenance / husbandry.

Finally. Someone else who "gets it". I got a buddy who claims he killed every single fish/coral he got for over a year. He said he listened to the lfs advice and spent $$,$$$.$$

He could not keep a fish alive for nothing.

He finally had to hire some kid to come in there to do his tank proper. Then and only then did the tank thrive.

Me on the other hand....I have only had my tank for ~2 months and all my fish/corals are doing great.....not to mention my parameters as well. I'm religiously changing 25% water 1x per week and monitor my parameters like a hawk on a daily basis. I'm OCD to a point and I think that's why I'm having success. I also have a high IQ, but that's another story.

Just tired of hearing "you gotta wait 10 years until x or y".

The ONLY thing I'm fighting now is nitrates. I cannot get it down below 10ppm. But from what I hear....even seasoned aquariums have high nitrates at times.

reefguy24
11/10/2013, 10:01 PM
I also forgot to mention.....the anemones move "at will".

Mine refuses to stay in the front of the tank. When he was in the front (in a perfect rock crevace) he hosted the two clowns and I caught them sleeping inside his tentacles.

Not sure what happened but the anemone got ****ed off and bailed to the back of the tank.

A week later, I brought him to the front of the tank, to an area with less light and less flow.

He stayed there for a few days, until the peppermint shrimp who apparently is his buddy was messing with him, and then the emerald crab started to molest the anemome......and overnight the anemone bailed again to the back right of the tank.

I left him alone and I'm not sure what to do now. He looks to be in good health.....but he's off to the side and even the clowns won't host to him anymore.

Point being: anemones do what they want.

Boston21
11/11/2013, 12:26 AM
My anemone (BTA) came attached to a rock, I placed him in the front and seems to be doing great. Has already accepted feeding a couple of times, and has a emerald messing with him also, hasnt budged yet, knock on wood.