PDA

View Full Version : Dosing?? Test kits

Ss9boxer
11/08/2013, 06:37 PM
Alright, I've kept Nano tanks before Marine and Reef, but never messed with a larger tank. I'm doing this 60 gallon cube build (which I know isn't large, but for me it is) and I'm reading about dosing pumps. How necessary is this and should I get one to save down the road and will a dosing pump work with an Apex system? Next question, best test kits? Both accurate and cost effective, THANKS!

billdogg
11/08/2013, 06:43 PM
Dosing will depend on what you plan to keep. SPS and LPS will probably require some sort of supplement to the Ca+ and Alk levels, unless you do lots of water changes to keep things up to par. Mg can often be kept up just by water changes.I really like Salifert test kits. They are very easy to use and give very repeatable results. You won't necessarily need a dosing pump, although it does make it easier. I have a Marine Magic dosing pump for my 120. Although it was a bit of a pia to understand the instructions (they are in Engrish) once I got it dialed in it does a great job.

LobsterOfJustice
11/09/2013, 09:48 AM
If you are going to keep SPS, you will need to dose Ca and Alk. If you are doing LPS and softies, regular water changes will usually be sufficient. You will want a dosing pump unless you plan on dosing by hand every day which is a drag. Yes dosing pumps work with apex. Other methods of Ca and Alk supplementation include calcium reactor and kalkwasser.