PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer advice--AquaEuroUSA?

nmbeg
11/09/2013, 01:49 AM
Since I entered the hobby in 2007, I have only had one skimmer--an AquaC EV skimmer with uses air spray rather than a venturi needle--not really sure what that means. anyway, it doesn't work anymore, the air intake is all clogged despite repeated cleansing. I am not sure that it ever really worked that well--skimmate was never thick and ugly enough.

so time for a new one! I have a 125 DT + 55g sump/fuge. I am thinking AquaEuroUSA this time:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Euro_USA_Classic_135_Protein_Skimmer_w_Needle_Wheel_Pump_and_Bubble_Plate_In_Sump_Venturi_Needl e_Wheel_Protein_Skimmers-Aqua_Euro_USA-ED3115-FIPSISNW-vi.html

Is this the right way to go? What do I need to consider when buying a skimmer?

nmbeg
11/09/2013, 10:00 AM
Any help here?

ggsteve
11/09/2013, 10:42 AM
Boy that Aqua Euro looks an awful lot like the used Reef Octopus skimmer I just upgraded to. I was using an AquaC Remora before. With the Remora I would get decent skimmate for a couple of days after cleaning the cup, then it would drop to near nothing. My Reef Octopus definitely pulls out more skimmate, better than an order of magnitude more, and it keeps working regardless of how dirty it gets.

Aquatron
11/09/2013, 11:05 AM
Those skimmers work well have you checked out their 200 & 400 cones? You should:)

Drae
11/09/2013, 12:21 PM
Any help here?

That's an old design that's actually out dated. Not a lot has changed in skimmers lately but you can do a lot better that that model. First off you would benefit from a skimmer with a better method of adjustment. To adjust that one it has a foam sponge that slides up and down and creates more head pressure on the pump to raise and lower the water level like the old asm and euro reef cs skimmers. Get something with a gate or some sort of valve or knob to adjust the water level in the skimmer like a reef octopus or an aquamaxx. the pumps that skimmers are coming with are better than the old school pumps by far. Something with a sicce or bubble blaster would be great. Look at Sea side aquatics, reef octopus, aquamaxx, skimz, and even eshopps. If you need help with a particular model just ask.

nmbeg
11/09/2013, 03:09 PM
Cool, thanks everyone. I'm thinking octopus--will let you know.